1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The My Generation of your generation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Christopher McCandless, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is that better or worse than using the opening lyrics from "Fortunate Son" in a "Rah-rah, Go USA!" sort of way?

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow did that suck.

3. Clever username

In fact it sucked so bad that youtube crashed. Awesome.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

jg, I can always count on you to be condescending. You never disappoint.

And I'd like to help you out with that pic, but I don't understand Photo Bucket. Got any pointers?

5. Clever username

I have a ruler you guys can borrow.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, it's gotta be teen spirit

i still remember the first time i heard it

7. pallister

pallister Guest

See, now that was funny, clever.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The two would seem equally clueless.

When a singer - say, Mellencamp - sells himself out to a corporation, that's a sad thing. But fair, in the scheme of things, and easy to explain.

When a song is co-opted for a rhetorical or political purpose utterly opposite that which was intended, it's much worse. Because then you spend the next twenty years arguing with people who didn't get it then, and don't get it now.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I respond in the manner I'm addressed.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I get it just fine, which is why I alluded to the Right's "misappropriation" of the song in an earlier post. I just don't need some message board know-it-all teling me what I don't understand. That's all.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Then what was the point of this? Are you the message board critic? Is that an official title? Or just a hobby?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

That's my opinion of said post by Writing Irish, and we've moved on. You can't seem to. If you wanna keep arguing with me, feel free. I won't stop ya. But I don't take myself quite so seriously that I have to win an ultimately meaningless political argument on a music thread. If it makes you feel better, you win.

Draft saved Draft deleted