1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The movie Zach Braff has been trying to make

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 11, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's been exported from Dublin, and everyone in the States loves it:

[​IMG]

A love story between a busker who fixes vacuums during the day and a Czech immigrant. The twist is that neither actor nor actress is actually an actor or an actress, but actual musicians. Glen Hansard, lead singer of The Frames, plays the busker. Marketa Irglova, a Czech musician, plays the Czech immigrant. The movie is a musical of sorts, but it features songs that the duo actually wrote. (Hansard and Irglova also put out an album a year ago.) So it plays on as kind of an extended music video framing the love story between the two.

Take your girl and make her teary-eyed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Seriously? Because of my insomnia, I caught a review of this last weekend on (nee) Ebert and Roper. Both critics gushed about how great a flick this is.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, Zach Braff didn't actually MAKE it. But he's been trying to make this type of movie, where the soundtrack creates the emotion of the film. These guys nailed it, because it's actually their music.

4. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

Great little film. Understated and deeply affecting. Great songs. Better yet, Hansard and Irglova are touring right now (as Swell Season, the title of their album) and I have tickets for later this month. Highly recommended film.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Quick, someone ask Tim McCarver the meaning of busker.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just saw this film. It was amazing, just raw and emotional with really good music. I'm 3 for 3 so far this year with movies I've seen in theatres: Once, Knocked Up and Hot Fuzz.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I mentioned this on some thread about summer movies and would they all suck or something like that. I mentioned that Once was a great movie worth seeing (it just happened to be playing in the summer timeframe) but I don't recall getting any response to my post.

Glad to see this very deserving movie is getting praise, although instead of giving Zach Braff any credit in the thread title, may I suggest mentioning the actual film title?

I picked up the soundtrack to the movie and it's a keeper for me.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I definitely plan on picking that up and I hope to see one of the shows they're doing as well. All-around it was really good. I like how it was shot very home movie style, there was no need for it to be visually stunning. That allowed the music and raw emotion to carry it. It was also cool to see all the places in Dublin and recognize them since I was there not too long ago.

*spoiler*
    EDITED OUT

9. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Thanks, Jackass. I guess I can skip the fucking movie now.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

WTF? Who does that? Went right for the end of the movie, too.

If you're going to post a spoiler, at least put a few lines between the warning and the info. :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I apologize profusely, I honestly don't know what I was thinking and why I didn't put many more lines and warnings in there. I feel like such a douchebag right now. I will say that the movie is still plenty worth seeing and the actual ending is still pretty good. Sorry guys.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK everyone. Chill. I took out the spoiler. He feels bad. Let's not pile on.

Draft saved Draft deleted