1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mouse gives Wilbon $8M over 4 years: Wash Post will see less Wilbon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jan 25, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wilbon is too erudite to be on MNF. I like him, too, but if you think putting Kornheiser on MNF was a trainwreck, Wilbon would be just as much of a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He did color for one year on some Redskins pre-game years. One year. Four games. Then he didn't anymore.

3. He is about 47 years old, I believe.

Very good guy.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Definitely a classy move, showing a willingness to let someone else come in and do the job knowing that he's set financially.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm happy for Wilbon. He's a great read, tremendous on PTI and seems a genuinely nice dude.

Just hard to fathom a sportswriter making athlete-type moola.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I said this on the Philadelphia Inquirer thread, but it would've been nice if SAS made the same gesture when lots of heads were rolling in Philly. Wilbon's gesture comes at a place that's not slashing anywhere near the Inquirer.

7. boots

boots New Member

And I will repeat. Two totally different individuals with different agendas. I know both very well. One has class. The other, you fill in the blank.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It would be nice if Warren Buffett gave away all his money and joined a commune in Oregon, but it's his life.

9. mkaufman

mkaufman Member

Without a doubt, Mike Wilbon is one of the classiest guys in the business. It speaks volumes that despite his fame, success and big salary, he is still admired by his sportswriter/editor peers. If anyone is going to sign a mega-deal like this, I'm glad it's Wilbon. Good for him.
    Michelle Kaufman.
    PS for those of you coming down to Miami next week, welcome, and I hope you have a great time.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's all good for Wilbon, and his offer to resign was classy.

Nice to see good things happen to someone who comes off as a good guy (never had the pleasure to meet him). Slightly off-topic, very pleased to see so many on the board who are behind this, considering the rap this place gets for being a bunch of sharks.

11. It's early yet.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

True, but usually by this point in the thread, someone is slamming one or both sides of the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted