1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most useless bit of information you know.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Estelle Getty was actually younger (by 14 months) than Bea Arthur, who played her daughter on "The Golden Girls."

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I know what em, en, and thin spaces are. Also, pica poles and proportion wheels.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm carrying mountains of useless information in my head, but possibly none more useless than this: I can explain the license-plate numbering systems in all 50 states. (For instance: the last numeral in a Massachusetts plate number represents its month of expiration; the first numerals in an Alabama plate represents the county of issue; etc.)

I also once named all 114 counties in my home state from memory. Alcohol was involved.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mike Lansford and Tony Franklin were both in the NFL long after Corral jumped to the USFL.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

My favorite television news theme, used by WCBS for the last eight or nine years and in countless other markets, originally was written in the 1970s for WBBM in Chicago by Dick Marx, father of Richard Marx. It has been remixed many times, including by Shelly Palmer ("Palmer News Package"), Frank Gari ("Enforcer") and John Henger ("News In Focus," a theme that was then sold to Gari).

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

How to convert Celsius temperatures to Fahrenheit.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I think you win the prize here, if there is one!

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

With the exception of the first three ... the three historically most populous. Jefferson, Mobile and Montgomery counties.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't find that useless at all!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sadly, the league went under before the Shreveport team could complete its proposed move to Cleveland.

11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Slappy's right (as usual). It was Dan Boisture. I interviewed him at his home about six or seven years ago when his grandson, Dan Boisture, was about to be a three-sport athlete in high school (he was moving up to the varsity as a junior). The elder Dan has since died.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Hey - I still have a pica pole and proportion wheel in my desk, and still use them! (honest...)

Draft saved Draft deleted