1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most unsurprising headline ever: Baylor basketball facing possible sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

@GaryParrishCBS:If you run a high-major program and come out of an investigation with nothing but phone calls, you should throw a damn party.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ironically?

Edit: JD and Dick both beat me to it.

3. Armchair_QB

Phone calls and text messages are normally secondary violations.

And it looks like it was athletic department-wide as they found violations in every program from football to equestrian. That makes it sound more like an incompetent compliance department than out-and-out cheating.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The punishment that I'm never too keen on: taking away scholarships.

Now, if that means that the number of available scholarships after kids graduate/leave is reduced, that's one thing. But I'd hate it if a kid lost their scholarship because of the NCAA punishing the coaches.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think you guys should reread Price's Baylor piece. He talks nonstop about questions surrounding the programs, especially Drew. Was it a positive story? Yeah. But it was also a complete story that covered all angles, including talking to the blackballed assistant coach, and mentioning this current investigation.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good point. If I remember right, the subhead was what got me. I think that some of the negative stuff even made its way into a pulled quote.

7. Armchair_QB

If this was just men's hoops I'd be more inclined to believe it was intentional cheating but Mulkey doesn't strike me as the type who would be dumb enough to risk probation over something that is so easy to catch.

For that matter, neither does Drew.

8. Armchair_QB

BTW, this just made Jeff Long's day.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

At Baylor, if you come out of it with everyone alive, you should be happy.

I think threatening to have that Colombian kid deported if he signed somewhere else was the low point for Baylor's current basketball administration. At least for now.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

If the SI piece suggested something fishy wasn't going on, it was the most naive piece in the history of the publication. The Scott Drew stuff is the worst-kept secret in college basketball.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, but no one suspected that cheating equestrian coach!

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah the subhead is:

A HEISMAN TROPHY? TWO NATIONALLY RANKED BASKETBALL TEAMS? A 40--0 STREAK ACROSS THREE MAJOR SPORTS? OFT-BEDEVILED BAYLOR IS ON A QUEST TO BECOME THE PREEMINENT BAPTIST UNIVERSITY, AND WINNING (THE RIGHT WAY) IS ESSENTIAL

But I don't think Price was overly credulous in the piece. Many grafs like this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195167/1/index.htm

Hardly naive, Brian.

Draft saved Draft deleted