1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most unsurprising headline ever: Baylor basketball facing possible sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Piss enough people off ...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7791434/baylor-bears-teams-facing-possible-ncaa-sanctions

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Surely, she'll go to Europe now...

3. Dick Whitman

Oh, I was talking about the men's side.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Another school that has let athletics lead it far from it's mission.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Baylor has already self-imposed a number of penalties as a result of the NCAA enforcement staff's probe, which began in 2008, ironically with the recruiting of women's basketball star Brittney Griner.

Not seeing the irony.

6. Dick Whitman

No kidding.

Nor even the coincidence, which is usually what people mean.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This probably seems like nothing compared to the last time the NCAA (and the authorities) descended on the Baylor hoops program.

I read the article in SI a month or so ago and felt cynical for thinking, "They've got to be cheating."

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

But... but... but... Sports Illustrated just told us they were winning the right way!

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have. Drew and his staff have been as blatant about this stuff as any coach since Tarkanian.

OK, well, maybe other than Bruce Pearl.

10. Dick Whitman

Absolutely. When I read that SI article you're referring to, the whole time I'm thinking, "Are they fucking serious with this shit?"

Scott Drew returns phone calls and takes time and so forth, so I think it's fair to wonder if he's been somewhat coddled by the media, which likes guys who return phone calls and take time and so forth, for this stuff until now.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reading the story, this isn't a new investigation. Baylor has already self-imposed penalties.

Wonder why it took so long to come to light?

12. Dick Whitman

Just spitballing before re-reading the story carefully: Maybe Baylor was hoping these would be designated secondary violations, and thus not publicized?

Draft saved Draft deleted