1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The most underappreciated player of our generation'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the 2001 AFC championship game, Troy Brown had over 100 yards receiving, scored on a punt return AND returned a blocked field goal about 40 yards before lateraling to another Pat for a TD. That's a little more than "scrappy" or "the system." That's as close to winning a game single-handed as a wide receiver can get.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Henry Ellard
    Mike Gartner

3. Situation

Situation Member

Speaking of pass rushers, hows about Chris Doleman.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Taylor is another guy, like Martin, who didn't have a "signature season" and I think that hurts him a bit. A lot of great years, but I don't think he was only over 1500 yards once and he didn't score a ton of touchdowns. I think that hurts him a lot.

Martin is a far better player and will get into Canton.

Taylor had a great career, but I will be very surprised if he gets into the Hall.

5. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Tom Paciorek
    Walt "No Neck" Williams

6. Mizzougrad96

There are probably almost 10 running backs who could make a legitimate claim that they deserve to be in Canton with 1-2 more good seasons.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Derek Smalls

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He doesn't get enough credit for the jazz odyssey. He wrote that.

9. Mizzougrad96

Not active: Ahman Green, Shaun Alexander, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon, Eddie George, Warrick Dunn, Jamal Lewis, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Tiki Barber, Ricky Watters, Roger Craig... Maybe Priest Holmes...

I think if you give any of those guys 2400 yards and 12-15 touchdowns... Basically, two good, not great, seasons, I think you could make a decent argument for any of those guys to make it to Canton. It's not to say it would make them all locks, but pretty close...

It's those two seasons that separate those who get in and those who don't. Five great seasons won't usually get you into Canton. Seven great seasons? That would probably do it.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jay Cutler /hounds

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

In the category of underappreciated closers how about Trevor Hoffman. All time leader in saves, but since he played in San Diego, no one realizes how good he was.

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Give Ahman Green 2,400 yards and he gets to where Taylor is. I agree with the point though.

I will say that if Taylor had done what he did on a team that made playoffs and played in a non-ignored market he would have a decent chance getting in. He didn't so he doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted