1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most influential sports journalist working today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Oct 25, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know what Bill James is up to these days or if anyone considers him a journalist, but the guy revolutionized baseball statistics. Before James there was just RBI, R, ERA, HR, AVG. etc. I think he truly changed the game and how players are judged. And I agree with notion of the diplomatic Costas being influential because when he does share an opinion, it is usually very well thought out, and on the mark.

2. Board Stiff

Board Stiff Member

Erin Andrews.
    She'll influence me to watch a game I otherwise have no interest in.

3. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

doesn't norman mailer post on here under his name?

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When Walter Cronkite said "This is ..." whatever, people from government to Main Street listened.

He was trusted, authoritative and influential.

There is no one in sports like that today, even if you consider Deford, Costas or Gumbel. Deford on National Public Radio reaches maybe a more intelligent audience, IQ-wise, and certainly a different demographic than the ESPN crowd who reads Simmons or listens to the dreck spewed by the talking heads.

There are so many opinions being tossed out, so much on the Internet and television and talk radio, that influence is watered down.

Influence is indeed local and regional. Ed Pope has more impact in South Florida and could maybe use his column to get something done. Selena Roberts may have a great column about an issue, but will anyone in authority or on Main Street take it to heart and evoke change? Doubtful.

5. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Vince Doria has more power now than ever. I believe he is one of the top, top guys directing news coverage at ESPN.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yes. good point. Excellent points in fact.

I tend to think in a print world.

He has move out and up.

;)

7. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

When Bill Dwyre was sports editor here at the LAT, he had a lot of juice around the country.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Costas comes pretty close to the Walter Cronkite standard in the sports world, doesn't he?

For the past 25 years, if it came from Costas, generally it was worth listening to and worth thinking about. He handles sports -- and news -- with aplomb, and his work comes with a hard-earned stamp of authority and integrity. The Jim McKay of our time.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

No knock at either writer, but this tells me more about the Dodgers and Angels than about Plaschke or Whicker.

10. Jen Sterger.

11. Maybe you should change your handle to "Stiff as a Board?"

12. And he was still a dickless shithead.
    Quite a parley.

Draft saved Draft deleted