1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most influential sports journalist working today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

So are we saying that influence equals dollars and having a stadium named after you.

I think that is so wrong. Influence for me is a journalist whose stories, thought and interviews have impacted society enough for positive change to take place for not only the sporting world to get better, but society in general.

The one in Canada that comes to mind, and I know some of the Canadian SJ'ers will disagree with me on this, is Brian Williams. I think back to when he did the Olympic anchor coverage for CBC and the Ben Johnson scandal, Ross Rebliati (sp?) scandal and also the situation involving Becky Scott took place (competitors in her sport were found to be cheating). Williams was quite opinionated on thoughts about cheating. Even the judging in figure skating, where he was quite vocal when Sale and Pelletier should have won the gold medal but didn't. From interviewing stakeholders in all the incidents to the athletes themselves, his work did constitute change for the better because people were watching and were influenced. Now there are others that probably do the same thing whether it be the Canadian or American journalism market, but Williams is the one I think has been influencial.

2. urgrad2004

urgrad2004 Member

Exactly the people who should be the most influential are the ones who fall under the radar. As writers, the ones who should influence us the most are the best ones out there like Michael Lewis, Warren St. John, Jon Wertheim, Michael Leahy and Franklin Foer. Of those listed, only Lewis and maybe Wertheim are widely known by the general public and that's mostly for Moneyball. In my opinion, he's had several magazine pieces (the Eli Manning, the Mike Leach and the Catastrophe Bonds stories) that have been much better.

Instead like someone said earlier Bill Simmons is the most influential writer for young, up and comers today. His writing has spurred a sardonic, frat-boy style that many are trying to emulate. Why? Because they see this a**hole who doesn't have to leave his living room and can get rich by spouting off his own views instead of providing insight and piecing together the views of others. People are more interested in the celebrity and the lifestyle of becoming a writer (Hey I can be like Simmons and tell the entire world about my trips to Vegas) than perfecting their craft. The blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the self-promoters at ESPN.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When newspapers and TV had a duopoly on opinion, I always thought Jim McKay was the face of ABC Sports at a time when the network was laying the groundwork for the modern sports economy. His presence lent gravitas to an event, made it important in the minds of the viewing public -- and ad sponsors.

Today, the effect of so much noise from so many people publishing so many opinions has served to mute the emergence of any single source of influence. The impact is much less than sum of all the parts.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Based on posts on this site, and blogs on others, this is an easy calls, ladies and gentlemen. It's Jason Whitlock. He 'influences' the most reaction of anyone else out there.

And I agree ... Little Napoleon (a.k.a., Mitch Albom) is no longer sports. And hasn't been for quite some time.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Jim McKay was influencial. I agree with you goalmouth.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I say Costas. Of all the people in the business staking out a controversial opinion, Bob Costas would generate the most headlines for doing so. More than Albom, more than Whitlock, more than Feinstein, more than Deford, more than Kornheiser, more than any single ESPNer. In a lot of casual fans' minds, and certainly most non-sports fans' minds, Costas is the reigning "sports guy" in the culture.

7. silentbob

silentbob Member

I hate to write this, but the most influential sports journalist working today is Bill Simmons.

Did you read ESPN's announcement when they hired Reilly? One of their execs was quoted as saying "Now we have the two best sports columnists in America." Made me want to puke.

The guy is nothing special -- it'd be nice if he actually reported something once in a while -- but you cannot question his popularity. He's huge, and that shows the direction sports writing is going. Very sad.

By the way, I have to give jgmacg props for the Raymond Carver reference.

If you've never read Carver's short stories, you should. Great, simple storytelling.

8. Jenny Carlson

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Influential from a national standpoint:
    Wouldn't The San Francisco Chronicle's Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada fall into that category?
    Influential from a personal and journalistic standpoint:
    Frank Deford

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sadly, Jenni's influence hasn't been so widespread that people have learned to spell her name correctly, even in jest.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Micahel Lewis. Moneyball is the best-selling sports book of the new millenium--maybe had more influence outside of sports (in business/management community) than within it. His work for Play is outstanding. His recent football book is not quite there with Moneyball but, at least by measure of influence within the biz, he's at the top--who sits beside him, I dunno.

YHS, etc

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Didn't Bill James lay the groundwork for Moneyball? But he's not a journo.

Oh, how I rue the geekification of baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted