1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Most Important Article Ever Written About College Sports*

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Shame of College Sports, by Taylor Branch

http://tinyurl.com/43s7pzm

*According to Frank Deford.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/145976/frank-deford-declares-atlantic-piece-the-most-important-article-ever-written-about-college-sports/

2. lobwedge

lobwedge New Member

I just read it. It's an incredible and educational read, if you have 30-45 minutes to spare.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Baron Scicluna will be in the bathroom for approximately 45 minutes.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, I don't know about most important ever, but it's an incredibly well-researched and quality article on the subject.

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

A waste of time.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd say my evening has been booked solid.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight. Be sure to pass back through once you've read it.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Awesome article. Could be expanded into a book.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Agreed. I'd say it's definitely worth the read, though.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

It will effect no change.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Wow! I can't believe I read the whole thing, but great, great, great article. I'm jealous I could not write something like that. It hits on everything I believe about college athletics, and much, much, much more. Well done.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, finished it. I'm not sure if this article will have an effect, but put it this way: If it doesn't serve as a call to arms, nothing will. The parts that pissed me off the most were not football or basketball but about the baseball players who got jacked around because they dared to have an agent talking with teams about contracts. And then that "restitution" rule, which is just the NCAA's official method of blacklisting, that's downright scary. Meanwhile the NCAA has a $1 million budget for private jet use by its staff.

I do quibble, though, that he didn't address any concerns related to gender equity and how minor sports would be funded.

But that's a small quibble in an outstanding piece. It's the kind of thing that, had it appeared in Sports Illustrated in the 1970s, could have changed the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted