1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The most annoying writing convention in the world is, well, well.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's not annoying every time, ya know.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not saying it is. More amused that I referenced that movie earlier here and it took about 10 hours to watch the movie on YouTube between customer interactions in the gallery and I wanted to see what he thought of the movie and, well, he used the crutch -- which is funny because there's a thread on it.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"We're sending our love down the well ... ALL THE WAY DOWN ... We're sending our love down the well ... ALL THE WAY DOWN!!!"

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I don't mind it in moderation. It's conversational. Can easily be overused.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One of my biggest annoyances is listening to people who aren't particularly good at grammar discuss style pet peeves.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Tell me some places where being particularly good at grammar still matters, really matters. I'd love to work at such a place.

Style being important would be a bonus.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right, that's kind of my point. Style is a bonus.

I would say that at most magazines, grammar really does matter. But now that most magazines are producing Web-only content, too, the divide between print and online copy in terms of editing is wildly obvious.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's belletristic writing.
    I can forgive the errors if I can plainly sense the rhythm and tone the writer is trying to establish.
    But I have to laugh at the notion a Wright Thompson is actually being given a hard edit. What a joke.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

You might make a good composition instructor. Might.
    There's more to editing than grammarianism, meat.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Poor Wright.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

Yes, maybe down deep he wishes he could come out and admit he's little more than a travel writer in funny nose and mustache disguise.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm aware, potatoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted