1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The morning Coke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 15, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Most places offer tea and water. That's how I stopped drinking them.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I've never liked tea. Lived in the south my whole life, but I've never come close to appreciating the taste.

3. I'm on Day 8 of removing soda from my diet completely. It really sucks.

McDonald's iced coffee takes care of the cold kick I need, but what I'm finding I miss most about soda is that it takes long to drink. I'd go through a 20 oz bottle in an hour or two, but I can go through 20 oz of water in 5 minutes.

Water's a terrible boredom beverage.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't need the coffee in the morning, but I do like it. It's not the caffeine--although it does help--because I sometimes go days without coffee and don't have any ill effects. I love the taste of it, though. When I finally get out of bed, first thing I do is grind coffee and brew a pot. I drink two cups, black, and toss the rest.

I also find coffee to be an appetite suppressant. When I drink it, I am less hungry. Between coffee and exercise in the morning, I usually don't eat until afternoon. I know most nutritionists would tell me I am a mockatravesty, but it really works well for me.

5. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Better or worse how? They both have almost no calories (Diet Coke has 1 calorie per 8 oz., Zero has 0.7 per 8 oz.). Besides a difference in sweetners (Coke has aspartame [aka NutraSweet], while Zero has aspartame and acesulfame potassium), they're essentially the same.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Coffee always gave me the drizzly shits. Back when I would actually have to function during breakfast hours (I've worked for a.m. papers for most of the last 15 years), I would have iced tea. It's a southern thing.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

TMI

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Just got a coffee grinder for Christmas. Amazing difference having fresh beans at home versus the big can of Maxwell House that I used to keep. I love the taste of coffee, I need the caffiene in coffee.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Seems like I mentioned this on another thread just a day or two ago ... water is in no way a solution for a long-term Coke drinker. Not even close. We're not drinking Coke for the moisture; we're drinking Coke for the kick, the "burn."

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love Coke - and Dr Pepper - but I never have one before noon. Can't start the work day without an extra large double-double from Tims (or a few cups at home on the weekend). Won't drink either after about 6:30 p.m. or so. I have enough trouble sleeping.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My aunts used to start the day with three Devil Dogs and three Diet Cokes.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I can't stomach coke in the morning, almost any carbonated drinnk for that matter. It just doesn't go down well, especially coke or pepsi. I can't drink diet coke at the best of times, I think it is one of the most vile tasting drinks on the planet. I'm a coffee guy. I don't always need it, but on morning's with production, few things are better than an extra large cup of Tim's, especially early when I need that caffine kick.

I have an uncle though who was addicted to caffine, all of it from drinking coke all day. He had it with breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks, etc. Basically drank it all day long for as long as I could remember. However, he decided to get himself checked out when he started getting tremours.

Draft saved Draft deleted