1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The morality of the free market

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Apr 23, 2008.

1. But if I take the stick out of my ass, I won't be able to stand up right, and that's important for working my factory-line job in a Communist system.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Up with the proletariat!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Nice work Piotr

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are generalizing, so the best I can do is generalize too. Those are not "free market" problems. Show me a country with the level of poverty and starvation you are talking about, and I can almost without exception show you massive government corruption of some sort. Nigeria comes immediately to mind. A country sitting on large oil reserves should not be a third world country--it should be one of the wealthiest nations in the world. Yet, the people have been robbed of hundreds of billions of dollars and still don't have an electricity grid--despite the billions of dollars that have been allocated and subsequently stolen--or enough food to go around.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-04-22-voa65.cfm

That isn't a "free market" problem. It's a robbery and corruption problem.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bravo, Ragu.

6. Negroes stole his free market.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I read "Supercapitalism" by Robert Reich last week, and he made a lot of interesting arguments related to how we got here. Too many to try to condense here, but it is definitely worth the read.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is that supposed to be witty?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Great post.

It all comes down to one factor, which I have harped on. Overpopulation.

If we don't stop the population growth, there is no solution. Period.

10. The end of the quasi-religious, bone-worshipping cult of The Market -- thanks, Milt Friedman -- which is really just a thinly veiled call for economic oligarchy -- would be a start.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hear that thud - it's the sound of the other shoe dropping from our push to bio fuels such as ethanol.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

To Boom's post, two very good programs about ethanol and alternatives last night on PBS:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/car/program.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/hotpolitics/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_4_frontlinebrhotpolitics_2008-04-23

And to the point of the thread, I'd ask this: Given the tangle of price-supports, crop disincentives and government subsidies, and the rampant speculation in land and futures driven by the banks and commodities exchanges and Wall Street, has any American farmer of the last hundred years actually operated in a "Free Market"?

Draft saved Draft deleted