1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Moddy Media Day Tour

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No, it's usually at the Sheraton by LAX. The Rose Bowl is 25 miles north, through some of the worst traffic the SoCal freeways can throw at you.

Instead, you get off your plane, get your luggage and catch a shuttle to the hotel, which is right on Century Blvd. -- the same boulevard as the airport. No muss, no fuss.

But MileHigh does provide a great reason to leave your hotel, the juicy goodness of In-N-Out.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Media hotel, I think, is a Courtyard in Pasadena.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Then, they must have relocated Pac-10 Media Day.

And I know that Courtyard, having stayed there for my daughter's soccer tournament last November, which was -- all together now -- at the Rose Bowl. Or, more accurately, at Brookside Park next to the Rose Bowl.

That's not 10 minutes away from the aforementioned Courtyard.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Find an old plane, a pilot that isn't scared and you could revive the SEC Skywriters tour to the campuses for August practice.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No snark, dammit!!

6. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Last year it was at the Sheraton next to LAX. It's been near LAX for as many years as I can remember. This year, the Pac-10 is going to do an eastern swing with its coaches and commish Larry Scott, probably to New York, to drum up some new biz. I don't think the usual LA stop has changed. Starts around 930, and ends with lunch.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Big Ten Skywriters laugh at the thought of that...

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, football and basketball have been at LAX for many years, so folks can jet in/jet out quickly.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think the Pac-10 Skywriters Tour ended in the '80s. '85 might have been the last. It has been at an LAX hotel since. If they're moving it to the Rose Bowl, fly into Burbank and save the traffic hassle.

10. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

Covered Big Ten media days for about a decade. Fantastic. Especially on the first day. Typically can find coaches milling around outside the interview room. Most do a gang bang with their beat guys and an assortment of others either directly before or (usually) right after their allotted time on stage. After that, they have a bunch of tv spots to do, but hang out long enough and you can get anyone you need for as long as you need. If you're looking for one on ones, you won't find it on day 2. They're stuck at their tables for the entire session. Guys like Tressel, RichRod and Paterno always have a huge crowd, but some other guys you can get a few minutes of quality time. As soon as the interview session ends, though, they have the autograph session, the luncheon open to the public and then they're whisked out of their to catch flights. But plenty of time, overall, for good contact.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Packed and ready to go - I'm hitting five conferences over the next two weeks: SEC, WAC, Big 12, Pac-10, Big Ten.

If you're there, please take a moment and say hello. I'm hard to miss. Big bald guy.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I look forward to sharing a Dr Pepper with you.

Draft saved Draft deleted