1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Moddy Media Day Tour

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

coming to a town near you (maybe).

One of the (VERY MANY) things I love about my new gig is they don't want me to be a faceless editor behind a screen or a voice on the phone. They want me to get out and see things, meet people, write a smidge, be a small presence in the real world.

So I'm working on a tour of some media days. The BCS leagues and some others mesh well with their schedules. I can't hit them all but I can make quite a circuit.

Help me out. The ACC is out because I've been there lots over the years and know many people (writers, coaches, league officials) in that league. I need to break new ground. Used to go to the Big East regularly years ago and it was terrific. But that was the old Big East. Maybe it isn't now. Maybe it remains terrific. That's what I want to know.

Share some of your media day thoughts - what leagues allow you to really talk to people, make some actual contact? And which are cattle call, dog-and-pony shows?

Appreciate the help (without snark). Trying to get these plans wrapped up pretty quickly.

2. writingump

writingump Member

Can we cover the Moddy Media Day Tour (lol)?

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You need to broaden those provincial horizons of yours and go West, young man. The Pac-10 beckons.

I haven't been to Pac-10 media day in a decade, but when I did go, it was great. You could buttonhole coaches like Mike Riley and Ty Willingham (when he was a lot more accessible) in the hallway and informally chat with them.

Riley is obviously still there, but now you also have Rick Neuheisel and Lane Kiffin. Steve Sarkisian of Washington is good to deal with from what I've heard.

Anything else you seek here, Moddy, other than an excuse to come West?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Big Ten is in Chicago and well, if you can't find something to do there you aren't looking. I missed it the last two years but I've always worked a trip to Wrigley in during it.

The SEC is least interesting of the ones I have attended.

The Big East has two things that make it worthwhile - there is a clam bake at Newport Beach complete with lobster dinner and shit and there is a very nice golf outing.

I've never been to Big 12 or Pac 10

5. Moderator1

Well, as much as I like entertainment, I'm first looking for media days that are productive and conducive to more than sitting in a group with 1,000 others like it's postgame or something.
    LA and Chicago would be nice, though.

6. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

What Birdscribe said about the Pac-10. It's one day, you can get pretty good access to the coaches and players at lunch, and it's held at a hotel usually right next to LAX.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly on the Pac-10. Right at LAX. Easy in and out. But even better: Sneak away for In-N-Out.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Moddy, I want your job. I'll answer your PMs and do the crap work if I can tour the states going to media days and what not.

What's that? No? You don't want to trade? I'll throw in my POG collection.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you go to Hoover, Ala. you can watch the writers follow athletes into the bathroom.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

SEC is a three-ring circus that Barnum and Bailey envy.

rb

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed.

12. Moderator1

It's at the Rose Bowl - is that right at LAX or has it been moved. I covered a Rose Bowl once but have no clue how I got from there to there to there.

Draft saved Draft deleted