1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mitchell Report: The question I haven't heard answered.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, in the bigger scheme of life, nothing is fucking perfect. not your fucking mom, not your girlfriend, not your football team and not the home run record.

but jesus christ, take it for what it is and move the fuck on. listening to the likes of bte liken a level playing field in 1930 to people injecting juice up their ass is getting tiresome.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that is the issue for a lot of people. Hack Wilson didn't make up new rules that only applied to himself as he went along. He played within the rules of that had been established -- even if baseball's rules have changed over time. The problem some people have with Barry Bonds is that he made up his own set of rules. He cut corners, while many other players weren't cutting corners. It means he isn't even comparable to the guys who played at the same time as him, and for many, it also is something that shouldn't be celebrated.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Any discussion of Bonds and steroids and records and ethics cannot use singular pronouns.

PEDs were taken by a majority of players and ignored by almost all baseball officials.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think you're taking a giant leap by using the word majority. and the rules of baseball defined 1930; rogue fucks defined their own rules the past decade.

5. BTExpress

Caminiti said majority.
    Canseco said 85 percent.

And with each passing day these two gain in credibility.

Giant leap? Not at all.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ. yes that is a giant leap in logic.

somehow that's not so shocking to me after reading more of your posts.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and, btw, bonds said he never took PEDs. guess we should believe that, too.

8. BTExpress

You seem mighty willing to believe Bonds is lying . . .

. . . but you want to believe everyone else who denies using PEDs.

I happen to believe that damn near every one of them are liars. I sure do not see many lawsuits against Canseco by all these "innocent" players. Do you?

The big names in Canseco's book denied, denied, denied.

And now we know . . . guilty, guilty, guilty.

In cases like this, things ALWAYS are dirty than you want to initially believe. ALWAYS.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

canseco didn't name most of the league.

and you're beginning to sound like a bitter old man: "all those kids today are on dope."

and you know what? even if they were, it wouldn't make any difference. you can't compare 1930 to the 'roid era. it's an exercise of stupidity.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Canseco said 85% of the players were on PEDs. How many of those did he name?
    Canseco said he had proof that A-Riod was using. Has anyone seen that proof?

Are there a lot more players using that just those named in the Mitchell Report? Hell, yes.
    Does that make Canseco any more credible? Hell, no!

11. BTExpress

"All those kids today are on dope" makes more sense than "Barry Bonds is on dope and we're going to asterisk only his numbers because he was MEAN to us."

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ. try to stay up with the conversation, won't you?

Draft saved Draft deleted