1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The miseducation of Write-Brained

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 2, 2007.

1. I've got 10 years in this business and came onto this board because I like to talk about it even when I'm not working ... but I quickly found out this board has a culture and language of its own ... and while I understand hierarchy and paying ones ... dues I'm getting a little frustrated and a little less eager about coming on. So if anyone has the time, please answer any of these and any other questions you're tired of newbies asking so we'll stop asking 'em ... at least until the next batch comes along. Thanks in advance:

1. Is it ethical for me to correct a key fact on my post, or even a typo, after the fact and, if so, how much time can go by before it's not ethical? Five seconds? The time it takes to burn a cigarette? Two hours?

2. Is everyone spell-checking and double checking even the most unessential facts in their own posts? I'm not.

3. Why isn't there some type of manifesto explaining rules/and or proper behavior and, if there is, where the hell is it? For instance, what has to happen for a thread to disappear? I recently read that its taboo to "out" someone. Is that true?

4. I now know what d_b is ... what does it stand for?

5. What other newbie mistakes are out there that you're tired of me and others making?

2. 1. Yes, by all means, correct at will. However, if you say something really stupid and someone quotes it, then you're fucked.

2. No. At least I don't.

3-5. Start by reading this thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29220/

Also, fetch me a Fat Tire, newbie bitch! :D

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

This thread has potential.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

WHO DO YOU ALL WILL THINK WILL WIN THE EASTEN_COFERNCE IN THE NBA??? I THINK IT WILL BE LERBON AND THE CAVS!!!!!!

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

1. I edit shit in my posts all the time. It's up to you what you want to edit. I type fast, misspell shit all the time, and sometimes hit post in a fit of anger, only to realize I spell like a 16-year-old with special needs on occasion. The only time I won't go back and edit something is if I make an error in judgement, like suggesting that Peyton Manning sucks balls, and he's clearly not going to win this game against the Patriots. That is the kind of shit you just have to leave and take your medicine on. There's no ethics at all involved in editing spelling or grammar, however. Edit away, my friend.

2. I should spell check more, but I don't. I'm too eager sometimes to post. Probably would look like less of a fool sometimes if I gave everything one last read before posting, but I rarely do. That's simply the organic nature of this board.

3. There are only two real rules here, and usually we ask that people pick those up by osmosis: The first, and biggest, is don't out someone. Even if you suspect that someone you're having a lovely conversation is Rick Reilly or Charlie Pierce or Che Guvera. Don't out them. If you really want to know, send them a PM and ask. It's up to them if they want to tell you. This site is a fun place to exchange ideas because we're all equals. Your opinions matter, not your bank account. People value their annonimity, so respect that. Some people choose to be public and that's cool too.

The only other rules mostly have to do with not posting pictures with gratuitus nudity and not labeling those threads with nudity NSFW (Not Safe For Work). Also, don't spread rumors about female reporters (or male reporters) sleeping around. It's cheap and bullshit, and rarely, if ever, true. Even if you know it's true, even if you watched and filmed some gorgeous reporter going at it with a celebrity, athlete or editor, keep it to yourself. It's cheap and tawdry. Threads can be deleted only by the moderators, or by the person who started the thread. Sometimes moderators will delete threads because they're tired of posters bickering, other times because someone posts something libelous on the thread, and other times simply because the thread had run its course and has deteriorated into a series of private jokes and inside baseball. Personally, I don't know why threads get axed for that last reason (it's not like we'll run out of real estate here) but that's a simple fact of life.

4. D_B stands for Deep_Background, a poster here who frequently posts old news, usually stuff that has already been posted on another thread. (He also likes to spam the board with celebrity gossip and GOP talking points, and once actually posted a video link to a beheading, but that's another story). If you want to start a thread, check to see that there isn't already a thread on that topic. Don't start a thread every time you have an opinion about something. Contribute to others threads and they will contribute to yours.

5. The only newbie mistakes that annoy me are when newbies immediately get defensive and angry and start attacking people right away, and when they start topics like, "Hey guys! Who do you think are the best college beat writers out there covering mid-major football teams in the south?" which feel too much like an obvious attempt to see if somoene will mention their name.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

DD has just said it all.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The only newbie mistake that annoys me is getting angry, defensive and taking shit personally. Oh, and not fetching me a pink frou-frou drink fast enough :D

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

In other words, if you get chickie a Cosmo or three, the rest can be forgiven

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Also, while I'm sure it's a free country and all, if you're a young writer just starting out, asking for advice on how to handle a bumbling SE who clearly doesn't see your massive talent and vision may not be the safest act in the world.

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

If you need your hand held on a message board, how the hell will you make it in the real world?

Give up now.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Another sage piece of advice, ignore people obviously trying to get a rise out of you. They are trolls and shouldn't be fed.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

but what about when a full-member does?

Draft saved Draft deleted