1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Millennium Series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dyno, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That title sounds like a book about the N.Y. Jets.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo_%282011_film%29

"George Clooney, Johnny Depp, and Brad Pitt were interested in playing the central role of Mikael Blomkvist, but Daniel Craig was in more serious talks for the lead in June."

This is like when the studio wanted Heath Ledger as Spider-Man, but Sam Raimi held out for Tobey Maguire. Apparently, no one held out for an actor who, you know, actually looks like the character. James Bond as schlubby guy.

Maybe my view is skewed by seeing the Swedish films?

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

By the time Hollywood gets around to actually start filiming, Ruffalo will be perfect.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm actually more interested in the movies than I am reading the last 1.5 books. Fincher is directing them, I believe. Depending on your opinion of Benjamin Button, and whether he should be forced to own Alien 3, he hasn't missed yet.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Dyno, I'm like you. Almost everything I read is non-fiction, but I gobbled up these books. There are some flaws, but the stories are entertaining. I also found myself really wanting to visit Sweden after reading them. I'm waiting on my wife to finish the third book so we can see the third movie.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

See the Swedish movies. The first one is pretty solid, the second one, not so much

7. Jake_Taylor

I also didn't get the impression from reading the books that he was supposed to be schlubby. Obviously he's the author's alter-ego, but I thought he was supposed to be the better looking, more successful, more adventurous alter-ego.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dude, in the first book he talks about how badly he needs to go running to get back in shape, then feels like he's about to pass out when he's running. Handsome, maybe. But plenty of spare tire there.

9. Jake_Taylor

Ok, then I should consider myself schlubby too because I could be in better shape and I huff and puff after a jog a lot more than I used to. He's no super man, but not what I'd consider a schlub for a guy in his 50s.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Well, the first one was commissioned for theatrical release and had a bigger budget. The other two are made for TV movies. The last two also did not use the same director as the first.

I hated the last two the first time I watched them, but I recently watched them again and don't think they turned out too terrible. The books are definitely better though.

Also Noomi Rapace came prepared to do these movies. I don't buy all that bullshit that she was this more or less soft-core actress before this series. The film she did right before all of this (Daisy Diamond) was 10x more extreme than anything in the Millennium film series.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

1. Schlub does not explicitly mean overweight. It means clumsy, stupid or unattractive. In the books, the Bomquist character is clearly not schlubby.

B. He's in his mid 40s, not his mid 50s.

III. It never indicates that he is fat, just that he thinks he could be in better shape. Even when he's in the fictional Hedestad in the first book and decides he should get into better shape, he runs for a few miles. It's not like he's huffing and puffing after 15 yards.

All of that said, his affect on women is laughable. It's a ridiculous element in the books.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The thing about Bloomqvist is that he's not an arrogant prick who expects the ladies to fawn over. He's comfortable in himself and he's got a good sex life. Its not like he's James Bond who beds everyone he comes in contact with. I think you're nit-picking. He gets a few of the ladies but most of them are over 40.

Draft saved Draft deleted