1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mike Leach legend grows

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GuessWho, May 8, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

He's the only D-I head football coach I know of who gives reporters his cell phone number and returns every call to it.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't care about Mike Leech or his Chuck and Duck Offense or his affinity for pirates. Barely registers as a blip.
    What I found most interesting?:

ESPN run out of email addresses?

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I brought up the same thing on the Jemele Hill thread. A lot of espn.com columnists use Gmail addresses. It looks stupid.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Gmail fine. But, Yahoo?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Maybe Morgan's recruiting him.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What I noted was that he went to BYU (the well-known Mormon school) for undergrad and got his law degree from Pepperdine (a well-known school, that many don't know is Church of Christ) and I can't think of two schools more polar opposites.
    That strikes me as extremely interesting.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd love to see him take over at, say, Vandy and see how smart he'd look after 3-4 years of running that crazy shit week-in and week-out against teams with real, live Top 25 defenses.

At No. 16 Missouri: Lost 41-10
    A nice 1-2 punch at the end of the year, though, beating No. 4 Oklahoma and No. 20 Virginia ... possibly the most significant two-game stretch in this six-season sample.

Five losses, four in league

No. 8 Alabama (bowl): Lost 13-10

At New Mexico: Lost 27-24

At N.C. State: Lost 49-21
    At No. 18 Ole Miss: Won 49-45, best argument for Eli not winning the Heisman I can think of

At No. 2 Ohio State: Lost 45-21

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Spurrier is also much more fun for those who don't have to cover him every day.

9. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

The cell phone thing is true. He did return my call.

And we spent 2 hours talking about pirates, and about history. I enjoy both subjects, but at the same time, I was thinking, "Holy crap, a Big 12 head football coach is giving me advice on where to find the best pirate museums."

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

He's really not that bad. He occasionally snaps off, but he generally allows pretty damn good access.
    The SIDs are major pains in the ass.
    Spurrier has walked into a room and written many a story for many a reporter. He's generally pretty original and is always good for a good quote.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Let's summarize the Spurrier situation further: The University of South Carolina writers were thrilled to see Spurrier after the Lou Holtz Era finally ended.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How are the SIDs major pains in the ass? Not challenging, asking. Trying to learn here. Professional growth.

Draft saved Draft deleted