1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Michele Bachmann Migraine Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Bush 43 had no legitimate competition that year. That's like Reagan-Mondale.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think you're mixing up your Bush elections.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Except, of course, for the guy who beat him in the popular vote and all.
    I'm guessing Dust means "no legitimate competition" in the primaries. You'd have to be pretty dumb to consider the guy who defeated Bush 43 in the popular vote "no legitimate competition."

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Except that ex-staffers leaked the news to a conservative web site. This was clearly intended to derail her campaign in the eyes of Republicans.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No "may" about it, IMO.

Though some have said on this board - not without merit, I don't believe - that the Willingham affair will never, ever come back to haunt him in a presidential election.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Buckley, Goldwater and Reagan would be a RINO in today's GOP.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't claim to be an expert on this story. I just don't consider her important enough to spend much time on her.

But, if a staffer telling her he was going to resign, led a meltdown that resulted in her being hospitalized, then I would have serious concerns about her ability to handle the pressures of the Presidency.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Reagan AND Rick Perry began their careers as Democrats.
    Include Perry too.

9. A brief tangent ...

Allow me to throw a little cold water on your conviction Willingham was innocent.

http://corsicanadailysun.com/thewillinghamfiles/x46870434/-08-28-09-JACKSON-Guest-Commentary-Willingham-guilt-never-in-doubt?keyword=topstory

http://corsicanadailysun.com/local/x46870669/The-Willingham-Files

I think Perry is terribly poor in shutting the investigation down, but I also think there was a pretty good chance Willingham was guilty.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Taking the politics and whether or not everyone doesn't like her out of this, migraines are no fucking joke. My sister has dealt with it for 10 years, on top of her multiple scerlosis. Ben Affleck and Percy Harvin also suffers from migraines, if I recall correctly.

The point here to me is that this shouldn't be made into a "whoa my god, what if she has a migraine before pressing the nuclear button" story. Anyone with a medical condition or a chronic illness can function in daily life, as long as they take meds and take care of themselves.

FDR had polio and concealed the usage of a wheelchair, JFK had Addison's Disease, but those facts was kept quiet back in the day, on the account of public perception. All of this changed when Thomas Eagleton came out about his battle with depression.

To me, this is a non-issue.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"5. Willingham was a serial wife abuser, both physically and emotionally."

Was he on trial for this? If I'm not mistaken, he was on trial for murder. Maybe I'm mistaken.

If I remember correctly, the Grann piece included all of the silly circumstantial evidence on that list, and included real, scientific evidence that he didn't actually do it. Couldn't have done it, even.

He didn't kill his kids.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So is there a republican presidential hopeful who you don't see as the second coming of Hitler?

Draft saved Draft deleted