1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Michele Bachmann Migraine Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've never thought Michele Bachmann was a serious candidate or could/would win the primary.

Nonetheless, this story had done a number on her campaign.

If a story can be both a hit job and legitimate at one, this is it.

I think the back story of former aides dumping on her is interesting. I think the migraine issue -- absent Bachmann -- is also interesting. How much do we need to know about the health of our candidates for the Presidency?

Is it a fair issue?

I've seen some even discussing if this would be an issue for a man.

And, here's the original Daily Caller article:

http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/18/stress-related-condition-incapacitates-bachmann-heavy-pill-use-alleged/

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The husband/closet case story is, to me, much more borderline.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bachman has always struck me as a PMS babe. You don't want someone like that around the red button.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm not a Bachmann fan, but this seems to be a bit of a low blow on how she copes with migraines. You can get them bad enough that you need to go to urgent care. I've had a couple that I needed morphine to get relief. I usually get bad ones 3-4 times month.

The heavy "pill use" isn't telling the whole story. I didn't read anything about her takingOxycontin or similar drugs. If you take medication for migraines, it's reasonable to take several drugs to control it.

Whether she's incapacitated by migraines is a reasonable question to ask, but her treatments aren't out of the ordinary. A good reporter would have found this out rather quickly. A

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Would you want your president going to urgent care or taking morphine for a couple days every few months?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Would you want your president in a wheelchair?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Particularly when they're stress-triggered? Her treatments may not be out of the ordinary for migraine sufferers, but requiring treatment of that sort regularly is damn sure out of the ordinary for presidents.

What's she gonna do if there's a terrorist attack, or a financial crash, or Harry Reid says something mean about her in the press?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

JFK was hopped up on a lot of pills. FDR wasn't in great shape.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As long as the mental capacity is there, I don't see why not. If Jason Street is running, he has my vote.

10. Dick Whitman

Didn't you read the New York Times today? They are triggered by high-heel shoes.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's OK as long as we don't know about it.

12. Dick Whitman

That has nothing to do with mental capacity, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted