1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Michele Bachmann-Jimmy Fallon controversy...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

+1

What I find particularly despicable about the Bachmann incident is that it was done without her knowledge. People have defended it because the show is "irreverent." This wasn't just "irreverent." It was cowardly. She had no idea she was being made fun of/insulted.

You don't call a woman a "bitch."

There are 10 pages on this site about how "uppity" has a negative connotation because of the history of racial oppression in this country.

Must I remind everybody that blacks legally had the right to vote long before women in this nation?

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Let's face it. Bachmann is a slow moving target, definitely not a sympathetic figure.

3. Dick Whitman

She's a female.

If Barry Bonds went on the show, would it be OK to play some song, covertly, about a "lying n***#"?

Some of you are being really, really intellectually dishonest.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Intellectually dishonest" would mean they know they're wrong but won't admit it.

The people who are defending Fallon and Roots are so blinded by hatred for any political opinion differing from their own that they honestly don't know it's wrong to call a woman a bitch if she's a conservative. Much like with Michael Steele or Herman Cain, they think it's just fine to make racist statements against any black conservative. Just wait till Allen West starts to become more prominent nationally.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Don't like the way anyone handled it.

The band was wrong. As someone wrote, it was gutless -- which is actually the biggest problem I have. But Bachman could have been the bigger person. Everything has to become an issue.

6. Dick Whitman

Every person is entitled to dignity.

Attack their ideas. Attack their deeds.

This was bush league.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It could be argued that they were attacking her deeds. She's told a few whoppers on this campaign trail.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Elliotte, I think your take on this is spot on. Bachmann wasn't the bigger person here because it's not in her to be that way. Despite my previous post i don't condone what the Roots did but she brings on a lot of negative backlash because of her attitude.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Calling those to attention is kinda different from the phrase Lyin' Ass Bitch, dontcha think?

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Going to have to show your work on that one, bub. I haven't seen any photoshops or cartoons of either of them with a bone through their nose, for instance.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He's just an entertainer.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

All the band accomplished was to make themselves look juvenile and unprofessional and to breathe a little life into Bachmann's almost dead campaign.

Draft saved Draft deleted