1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The metro areas most (and least) like America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://wallethub.com/edu/metro-areas-that-most-and-least-resemble-the-us/6109/

Measured by various demographics and how they match to the country as a whole, your metro areas that most resemble the U.S. are:

1. Nashville
    2. Cincinnati
    3. Indianapolis
    4. Charleston, S.C.
    5. Jacksonville
    6. Greenville, S.C.
    7. Oklahoma City
    8. Phoenix
    9. Albuquerque
    10. Winston-Salem, N.C.

I think the conclusion of the survey is if you hate these cities, you hate America.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This country would be much, much better if more of it were like Charleston.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nashville is one of my favorite cities. Love that place. Greenville is awesome, too. Indy was fine for the few days I was there in 2006. Haven't spent time in the others.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm from SC (just a few miles down the road from Greenville) and find Charleston beautiful, but I also find Charleston very, very weird.

Example: Many years ago my wife and I had a friend-of-Charleston-friends acquaintance who was getting out of investment banking/law and was going to start an acupuncture practice. She came from lots o' (Charleston) family money, so to train up she studied for a year in Vietnam. She came back, ensconced herself in her ridiculously expensive downtown home, and began advertising her services in those glossy, upscale magazines around town. In those ads it was clear that she perceived her key selling point to be NOT training, experience, etc., etc. Rather, her key element of differentiation was that she is ... a fifth-generation Charlestonian. I can see how that might tip the balance if you're talking real estate, art, food, culture ... but acupuncture?

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wow, that article is stat-tacular.

Looks like they're basically comparing how each metro area rates in terms of age/racial/gender diversity (or balance); owners vs. rentals in housing (and affordability); economic well-being; and how educated the adults are.

Still, in no way, shape or form should Spokane rank 80th "most American" (out of 366 metro areas) and Missoula, Mont., is 338th. Between the two, I know which version of America I prefer!

(Looking at the list, quite a few "college towns" are toward the bottom, probably because they have too many young people and too many rentals to resemble "average" America)

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

And too educated.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Too many Asians.

Which is also why two cities in California rank in the top 150.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reared in Nashville, living now in Albuquerque...I can say with authority they are polar opposites in most every way. Makes me think the entire study is flawed.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There's nothing qualitative. It's basically looking at all sorts of demographic numbers and matching them with what the overall rates in the U.S. How the stew turns out is of no concern.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In my short visit to Charleston I fell in love with it and wish I could retire to that area someday. College of Charleston really gives a youthful vibe but it did appear that old money and old family ties really matter. If you live in New YOrk City for more than a year you are a New Yorker. But i get the feeling that unless your family was in Charleston during the blockade of 1863, you are a visitor. I get the idea that Boston is like that too. The Eastern Shore of Maryland, unless you've been living there since before Bay Bridge opened, you are a tourist.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The version of America you prefer has nothing to do with what America is actually like.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Isn't this just a way of saying "most demographically average?" They used Most Like America because people hate being called average.

Draft saved Draft deleted