1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messenger, Troy AL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 6, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

General shitty treatment like I've never experienced.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I just hate it when people use "do you love sports?" in a job ad.

3. three_bags_full

"every level of the game" = Saturday JV games

4. WS

WS Member

Or Saturday youth soccer contests, or better yet archery meets where her sons are involved.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But you like archery,..

6. truthiness

truthiness New Member

Nah, the oldest son, who is still in high school, is the staff photographer. So he doesn't participate in archery anymore. BUT, the younger son plays plenty of sports, so get pumped for tons of rec soccer coverage and features on the Charles Henderson JV baseball team.

7. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

so the gist of these last few posts is that you have no control over what to cover? I would think with Troy and 4 schools that JV and all the other stuff would be an after thought or just rounded up with coaches sending info in. Also is it just a one-man department?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who doesn't like working at the publisher's beck and call. After all, a job is a job. The eventual hire should be grateful to be working because there are hundreds of other writers looking for work. (Ducking)

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

good lord. Seems like there should be a big red flag icon next this listing.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

looks like the spambots have landed

again

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Radicle Joint Venture Stick Ball" sounds like something they'd play in the Tokyo suburbs.

12. three_bags_full

I worked for Boone for a number of years and had an overall pleasant experience, with the exception of about a year under Graning and Dennis Palmer, who was the publisher in Selma last time I checked.

Did I work my ass off? Yes. For less than what I could've made somewhere else? Meh. Maybe. But I was always given the opportunity to succeed and be promoted. And, as stated above, I worked with some great people, minus two.

Draft saved Draft deleted