1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Messenger, Troy AL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by johann, Jun 6, 2011.

1. johann

johann Guest

Do you love sports?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1259790

Company: The Messenger
    Position: Do you love sports?
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: July 11, 2011
    Job ID: 1259790

Description:

If you're crazy about sports -- from rec league to prep to Division I college athletics -- then we have an opening for you. Troy Publications Inc. is seeking an energetic, talented sports writer to join our award-winning staff. Our coverage area includes Troy University, four high schools (with state titles in football, baseball and basketball) and youth sports that regularly produce state champions in baseball, softball and soccer. The ideal candidate will be able to develop relationships with coaches and understand how important sports coverage is at every level of the game. Excellent writing skills (and the ability to write game stories, features and columnes), photography skills and knowledge of InDesign are required. Ideal candidates also will have experience in social media and networking, including Twitter; Facebook; and live-blogging. Excellent salary and benefits available. If you're interested, send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Stacy Graning, publisher, at stacy.graning@troymessenger.com.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

anyone know how big the sports staff is? Any idea if they travel for Troy football? They should at least travel for the regional games, I would think

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

"excellent salary and benefits available"

"$20,000 to $25,000"

4. WTFünke

WTFünke Member

You beat me to it ... but, hey, you're forgetting that you'd also be working for an "award-winning" publication.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it's a one-man sports staff, though you get a little variety from the usual preps-youth sports death march with there being a Division I school in town.

Troy University is pretty damn good in baseball, and generally goes to a lower level bowl in football. Kinda doubt you'd be able to make the annual football trips to south Florida (they play either Florida International or Florida Atlantic on the road every year).

The city high school, Charles Henderson, is nothing special in football, but has won at least one state title in baseball in the last decade. Pike County has one of the better small-to-middle-sized athletic programs in the state.

I know one semi-regular poster who used to work there, so he can probably fill us in with more if he trolls by.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Danger. Boone paper. Proceed at own risk.

7. truthiness

truthiness New Member

No travel for Troy games, other than bowl games. Also, don't get too pumped about any real in-depth coverage of Troy. It will be basically game stories because you'll be strongly encouraged to spend most of your time on youth sports and high schools. Especially rec baseball.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I once worked for Stacy Graning. First-rate bitch, and I don't say that about many people.

Troy's a nice town, but it's a Boone paper, and you'll work your ass off.

Avoid Stacy Graning.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

But $20-25k in Troy is like $100,000k in New York City.

10. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

So threebags what did this lady do to you?

11. truthiness

truthiness New Member

Agreed. And also, the money doesn't go as far in Troy as you think it would. Renting is pretty expensive for anything decent because landlords jack the prices up due to the university constantly growing and bringing in more students.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

yeah but you have to also learn what "columnes" are.

Draft saved Draft deleted