1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The media doesn't even care about Super Bowl media day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first year I covered it, I was in charge of doing the notebook. That is definitely the best assignment for media day.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I get Deion mugging for the camera and doing his thing in the studio, but he seemed to dominate every interview. Literally inches from the subject.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

How long have you been a Manning quarterback?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is fucking brilliant.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Had a teaching colleague ask me today why I didn't take a personal day, buy a ticket and go down to Lucas Oil for that today.

"Well, it's a circus, and I've covered scores of NFL & NBA games, worked locker rooms, had one-on-ones with Indy 500 and Winston Cup winners and several Colts/Pacers, so it's nothing I've never seen before other than there's 900 times as many people and very little actual work gets done other than Downtown Julie Brown and Ross the Intern butting in and asking ridiculous questions to get on TV."

It's hard to realize how so many people are awed by what we take for granted ... and how so many people don't understand that we're actually working and not just fans with extra access.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I did Media Day and it wasn't that bad. As long as you have a battle plan ahead of time, you can get shit done. Because of my non-NFL beat, this was the only day I could be there. I got everything I needed.

The Patriots' session was actually pretty relaxed and not terribly hectic at all. The Giants' session seemed worse because most of the Giants not at a podium congregated at one end of the field. The freaks were definitely out more for the Giants too for some reason.

Oh and Chris Berman? Just because Zak DeOssie went to Brown doesn't mean it's grounds for a 10-minute interview in the middle of Media Day. Please go do what you best which is to quote Hotel California or put on a turban or whatever it is the fuck you do these days.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy shit. I looked up in the stands and just shook my head. People paying $25 to watch someone sit at a dais? Congrats NFL, you have fully comprehended the concept of a sucker born every minute.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

And the fans? Not thrilled with the experience (surprise morons...you paid to watch INTERVIEWS!)
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/travelers-check/201201/super-bowl-media-day-dont-believe-hype

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait - they really sell tickets to media day? No. No way. I refuse to believe anyone would pay one dime to watch that shit.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I looked and looked and looked for an interesting AP or MCT story off today's activities. Wound up running the Peyton Manning story.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

This was the first year they sold tickets.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This happened ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted