1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The media doesn't even care about Super Bowl media day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It just struck me as amusing that there's no thread about Super Bowl media day on a site for sports journalists. Shows what a farce the day really is.

That said, it could make for an interesting topic of discussion.

Anybody have any good stories from covering it? Anyone say anything interesting there today? Anyone who's there care to weigh in on the insanity? Are the fans who paid to attend making it any more of a farce than it already is, or are they barely noticeable among the usual buffoons who are paid to be there?

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ochostinko didn't even have his own podium.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've talked about these on other recent threads, but the Stuart Scott-Ray Lewis interaction would be there.

My favorite question was when Shannon Sharpe was asked if he hoarded all of the personality in his family, a clear and obvious shot at his dickhead brother.

Japanese journalists asking players about Ichiro, who had yet to take his first MLB at-bat.

4. Mizzougrad96

I'd almost guarantee you that was at the request of the Patriots.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Remember when it was just "Picture Day?"

I blame Downtown Julie Brown.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I do think the fan angle is interesting. I know we kind of get in a huff when fans are granted access that is typically reserved for media, but I'm curious how it's working out. The day is such a shitshow anyway, I can't imagine the fans will really make things any worse, but I'd love hear how it's working out.

7. Mizzougrad96

Oh, they'll definitely make it worse.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Media Day has become quite an ironic name, as most sportswriters know that's the one day of the week you don't try to find anything with any depth. Most of the stories will be on the spectacle of it all. For someone actually doing game buildup, there's an hour a day for each team on all the other days, so it isn't like you're screwed if you don't make use of this time. Better to let the crazies have their way today and not deal with it.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Maybe somebody will ask Tom if he in fact has hairplugs. The adoring public deserves to know.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had it on NFL Network in the background while I was doing other stuff. The crazies didn't do any worse than Deion Sanders who fawned over everybody he interviewed and begged any Patriot who would listen to get the ball to Ochocinco.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Media Day is a good day for getting material from the assistant coaches, who are utterly ignored by the hordes. It is a harmless custom, which FWIW most players seem to enjoy. As for the podiums, I'll bet Matthew Slater didn't get one, either. He's been just about as important to the Pats' passing game as Chad has been.
    Nobody's going to prove they're the next Edward R.Murrow/Hildy Johnson/Howard Cosell of sports journalism at Media Day. So what? Part of dealing with the Super Bowl is accepting some of the fundamental absurdity of the event.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Anybody ask Eli how long he's been Peyton's brother yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted