1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The media and the scandal/scrutiny vacuum with Trump off Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 17, 2021.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Fredrick is wrong here.

studthug12, matt_garth and Pilot like this.
  2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not sure you needed the “here” ...

matt_garth likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

True. Needlessly specific.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You’re wrong.

free_speech.png

Deal with it.

Mngwa and PCLoadLetter like this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How can true journalists think it's OK to ban people from Twitter? It goes against everything journalism used to be about. Just because somebody rich who runs Twitter despises Trump and conservatives doesn't mean they should be banned. I mean a private company can ban whomever they want, of course they can, but in response, newspapers SHOULD STEER CLEAR OF SUCH COMPANIES. Newspapers are totally hypocritical here. Hell, they don't like Trump either so they love the ban. One problem, newspapers are supposed to be for open expression of ideas ALL THE TIME. Pity what's happened to journalism. Fake news ... believe it.

6. PCLoadLetter

If you are a real person you are too dumb for words.

Pretty confident you’re not a real person. If you are and you really work for a newspaper you are absolutely stealing money, even with your unpaid 30 hours a week.

matt_garth, dixiehack and Mngwa like this.
  7. Fredrick

Why is it OK for Twitter to ban Trump and all ideas on all issues? Why would newspapers support such a business that censors?

8. PCLoadLetter

OK, Fredrick, I'll play.

Twitter banned the repeated and intentional posting of known, provable falsehoods.

The fact that Republicans have taken that to be an attack on them specifically tells you about all you need to know about the party today.

Trump violated that policy over and over and over. They gave him infinitely more slack than he deserved.

Beyond that, Twitter is not the government. They are a company. If they decide they do not want to allow people to use their service to lie and to promote violence and insurrection, that is absolutely their right and I would argue their obligation.

Let's pretend Fredrick worked at a newspaper. Someone wants to write a front page article falsely claiming Fredrick is a child molester and must be murdered immediately. Would Fredrick run that article? If not, why is Fredrick "censoring" that person? Why should anyone support Fredrick's censoring newspaper?

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How would you do engage in selective enforcement? Would you entrust that to technology to scan for particular words?
    It's not feasible.
    As to how Twitter can ban Trump in general: They can do it for the same reason you can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater when there is no fire. Every Bill of Rights-enumerated freedom has limitations. And if the government can impose limits, so can private business.

10. Fredrick

I realize Twitter has the right to kick off/censor whomever it wants. I'm saying newspapers should want no part of a company that engages in such censorship. If a newspaper isn't outraged by this I am saddened beyond imagination.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I worked at some of the shittiest Penny Savers ever to put ink on paper, and even they had standards for who was allowed to express themselves in the paper and what was within the bounds of truth and decency. If your shops never had that, I truly pity you.

12. Fredrick

The problem is where do you draw the line? Twitter is silencing some people and letting other stuff that's equally inflammatory go free. I personally am surprised/appalled that any journalist would agree to use/support Twitter considering its stance toward suppression of ideas. I'm surprised I'm getting no support on this position. If you don't cover all points of view it's not journalism it's propaganda. Twitter has made its stance known. Newspapers should respond and ORDER their employees to get off there. Just.My.Opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted