1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The meat spectrum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've done all down to 17. The horse was served as a steak in Mexico. It was meh.

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Like most, I've eaten up to No. 13 and would try No. 15.

Rabbit is delicious. I'd order it again next time I'm at Mr. B's in New Orleans.

Ostrich is pretty good, too.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has anyone eaten bear? That's pretty common in a lot of areas, isn't it?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's grizzly ... I mean gristly.

At least what I've had was.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Who created this list? It's not very comprehensive.

Two common meats I ate in Morocco aren't on there -- sheep and goat. There's no way they should be lumped in at 14. Neither should squirrel, but I'd put camel and hedgehog there. I guess grouse would be OK at No. 9. I've got some of that in the fridge right now.

Alligator and snake should not be lumped together.

Dog is a delicacy in Indonesia, but I couldn't eat it if I knew what it was. Woman I work with has bear in her freezer now, too.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've made it through No. 10 (liver, not intestine).

Missing from your list are frog and turtle, both of which are fairly common.

And if you've eaten at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, you've probably tried No. 18 and/or 19.

Mmmm ... General Meow's "chicken" ... :p

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I've had bear pepperoni and it was great.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I can check all through 17. Several of the higher numbers I might not have occasion to eat again. Rabbit is definitely out; very scary allergic reaction the one time I had it.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've had a few bear claws.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Well, I'm not eating The Big Ragu, but I've had a bunch of the rest. I'm at 2 through 10, 12, 13, 15. I've also had rabbit and goat (both at Mallorca's in Cleveland), plus squirrel, barbecued raccoon and pig brains. Had turtle soup at Commander's Palace in New Orleans, plus four of the 25-cent martinis (my three and one from the newly minted wife).

And if I'm hungry enough, all you fuckers are on the menu.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm sorry to disappoint you. I think of sheep and goat as sort of being like crimson or magenta. They don't need to be named on the spectrum to be there. If you'll eat deer, you'll eat sheep or goat.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Bear tastes about like any roast, but is very greasy.
    If you've eaten pepperoni pizza any time in the last several years, there is a good chance you've eaten goat.
    Frog is fine.
    If someone offered me dog, I'd punch them in the face.

Draft saved Draft deleted