1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The meat spectrum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I ate rabbit in Paris. I thought it was pretty good.

OK, I probably would too.

But would you eat their testicles? What if it was the only edible flesh left?

(Not sure how that could possibly happen, but its SJ, and I'll conjure the scenario, dammit!)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If somebody dies of exposure and malnuritionment, there should be no communicable condition with the meat.
    Might be more nutritious killing and eat a healthy person.

And rabbit is delicious.
    So is, sadly, sea turtle.
    Bat, on the other hand, was not good.

As for which piece of human meat I'd eat, I think if I'm at that point, I'm probably not going to balk at ball meat.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out the scenario in which I have to eat human meat, and the only human meat available is ball meat.

Ten people and myself are on a charter flight. We crash in the Andes. The wreckage burns, and the only things to avoid complete incineration are me and 10 nut sacks?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What if there was a nuclear blast that you survived because you jumped into a refrigerator (I saw this in a movie once), then you found a football field where everyone had been wearing lead cups so all that was left was the string and beans?

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I've had ostrich numerous times in South Africa, seems pretty common. Didn't really like it but that was due to taste, not squeamishness about what it looked like before ending up on my plate. I think I could go past 14. Think I could eat kangaroo.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't horse be on the list somewhere? That's a traditionally nasty-tasting and somewhat taboo meat. Seems most stories I've read about the desperation of starving armies and expeditions always mentions them killing and eating their horses. I'd make it a 20-item list and slide horse in at No. 17, below carnivores and just above pets and people.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Horse is a good one. I agree with your placement. The more I read about eating carnivores, the more I realize I would try it. And I have watched enough Food Network shows to realize there are plenty of high-falutin, delicious-looking dishes involving cow testicles.

I probably would try horse, too. So now I'm at the point where cat, dog and human are the only things I won't eat knowingly, and I've eaten at enough Chinese hole-in-the-wall restaurants that I've probably ingested some cat and/or dog.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

What if you had to eat Sarah Jessica Parker? Would that be #17 or #20?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sarah Jessica Parker, Nancy Kerrigan, John Elway and Rebecca Lobo fall into category 37 (17 + 20).

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What was in the movie, the introductory clause or the entire scenario?

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

So if there were women in the Andes scenario you'd go for them first because nothing would go to waste?

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I've gone as far as 13 (some places in Florida serve deep fried gator as an appetizer). I'm down for 14 and 16, after that I'm out.

Draft saved Draft deleted