1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The meat spectrum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How many have tried kangaroo testicles?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd definitely switch 14 and 15. I'd try a lion steak, or a lot of other wild game. Same with something like kangaroo, if it was farm-raised and prepared like most food.
    Other than the aforementioned Rocky Mountain Oysters, it'd be hard to talk myself into knowingly eating testicles or penis.

As for how far I've actually gone down the scale, it's No. 13 (alligator), with a couple steps missing in between. Alligator is farm-raised and fairly common in restaurants down here in the south. Hell, I've seen "alligator on a stick" sold at fairs. It's not terrible, but not great. Pretty fatty.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So you mean you'd switch 15 and 16, which is basically the opposite of Care Bear's point. I am comfortable with where they are because we really aren't supposed to eat lions or tigers or bears, digestively speaking.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are those bad for humans' digestive systems? I have no idea. I'd have figured it was no different than most other wild game.
    But, yeah, meant 15 and 16.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've everything through No. 14, including two endangered species - sea turtle and Marianas fruit bat.
    I have not eaten 15 or 16, but would try them. I would definitely like to try bear.
    I'd eat dog or cat if I had the chance in a country where it was part of the local cuisine.

I'd eat a human meat if my life depended on it.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I have gone to 13, eat 15 on a daily basis, and would consider 16. I'm out after that.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Was it venison?
    You WISH it was venison!

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My understanding is it can make you sick to eat certain parts of carnivores, particularly the liver, but that humans never regularly ate carnivores because there was no need to in general, and they aren't as easy on the digestive tract or as nutritious as herbivores.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Probably down to 12. Dahmer had no problem getting to 19.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess a bear is really an omnivore, so it doesn't really fall in to category 16.
    But I didn't know where else to put. A pig's an omnivore, too.

I've been to the Philippines and Nigeria, both places where some people eat dog, supposedly. I never had a chance to try it in either place.
    I've never been to any place where they supposedly eat cat.
    There's a Peruvian restaurant about 45 minutes from where I work, but they don't have guinea pig on the menu. I'd definitely try it if they did.

If I were in a situation like the Donner party or the soccer team in the Andes, I'd eat human meat.
    I'd like to think I wouldn't kill someone and eat him/her, but if the person's already dead I'd do it to survive.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

See, then you're eating diseased meat. Better to kill a healthy person.

Draft saved Draft deleted