1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The meanest mom on the planet...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She sold the car, but she's going to keep running the ad because she likes having people call her to tell her how great she is.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It might be the first time she's ever felt the aproval of others. Give her a break, Buck.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, what a douche.

4. Yes, absolutely, I'm saying it's utterly insane that we live in a country in which adults can be arrested for possessing alcohol. And I think unhealthy attitudes like those of this mother (who may have issues of her own) only perpetuate the problem.

I have a younger brother about the same age as the kid in this story. When my brother is home from college, he is allowed to drink (responsibly) with the rest of the family during social functions and at dinner, etc. I think that is a much healthier attitude.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

There is a HUGE difference between allowing a teen to have a glass of wine with a meal and possessing a bottle in a vehicle. I fail to see how her attitude about alcohol and vehicles is unhealthy.

That mother has every right in the world to make the rules for her home, and the vehicles she owns. If she didn't hold the title to that car, she couldn't have sold it. The car was not his to do with as he pleased. He's a legal adult. If he didn't like the rules, he was free to move out.

Like it or not, it is illegal for those under the age of 21 to possess or ingest alcohol. If you don't like the law, then go about changing it.

But regardless of your opinion of the legal drinking age, vehicles and alcohol should never, ever mix.

Never.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You don't get it. The alcohol was found in a vehicle. I'm presuming you're OK w/drinking and driving based on your response. Beer cans found in car does not equal responsible drinking.

Here's what you can do if you don't like the laws -- work on changing them, rather than work on breaking them.

7. Or, do both.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just to play Devil's advocate here -- and I don't think this is the kid's case -- just because there is an alcohol container in your car doesn't mean you've been drinking and driving or drinking, altogether.

When I was a 17-year-old kid in New York, while walking or driving, my buddies and I would stop on the side of the road to pick up bottles and cans to get the deposit returns. We didn't give a shit if they were Sam's Club, Pepsi or Budweiser cans. We picked them up because they all got the same return. One night, after dropping my girlfriend off at home, I drove down her hill and saw a can on the side of the road, so I stopped. When I got out, I found an entire case of empty Budweiser cans. So, I picked up all 24 cans and threw them in the back seat of my Blazer and drove home.

My parents saw the cans in my car and never questioned me. It wasn't because I didn't drink back then; I went to college parties at my sister's college and got drunk at New Year's parties with her, too. They knew what I was doing and they trusted my judgment.

I don't think it's right of you to automatically assume just because there's a container in someone's car, they must have been drinking and driving or not believe in responsible driving. It's just not always the case.

And, BDWP, if the mom's rules were made beforehand, I don't see this being over-the-top at all. If she paid for the car, it's her prerogative. The kid should have listened.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think some of you are getting it. Does anyone really care about a 19-year-old drinking? Most don't. But the point is, she bought him a car and told him one of the rules was there was to be no booze in it. She found booze in it. She enforced her own rule. And she did it publicly, which I think will probably make him think twice about breaking her rules again. Good parenting, in my opinion.

On the other hand, who the hell buys their 19-year-old son a car? Get fuckin' job, slacker!

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Good for her having the guts to actually sell the car. But doing it to publicly humiliate the kid seems like it's a bit much. Although if he was drinking and driving and I have absolutely no sympathy for him.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The parent holds the title to the car. She can sell it because she needs the money. She can sell it because she doesn't like the way the son asked her to pass the salt at Sunday dinner.
    Explaining in the for-sale ad why you're selling it could be savvy marketing.
    Continuing to run the ad after you've sold the vehicle is vanity.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Very nicely stated.

Draft saved Draft deleted