1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The mean dog walker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, May 17, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Someone sent me that link today. It was good for a couple chuckles at work. The last line is my favorite.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I have your mean dog walker and raise you DNA testing for all doggies, so we can find out who is pooping in the elevator!!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-dog-dna-20100513,0,1548617.story

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How does one get to be a professional dog walker, anyway? Is there a test?

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Reads as if it was written by someone who speaks English as a second language, which is highly possible.

The grammatical errors I've seen on English signs in non-English speaking countries is hysterical. The first one that pops into my head is "No Parking Hear," somewhere in Thailand.

Lao:
    [​IMG]

(Crap, I get a big red X and can't figure out what I did wrong. It says "Please no children for their safety")

Chaing Mai, Thailand:
    [​IMG]

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The more I thought about it, and after reading the comments underneath at Gawker, I think the dog walker sign may have been a native French speaker. Some of the awkward translations would flow directly from French and "pipi" is a French way of saying you are taking a wiz.

The sign cracked me up, but I did think the sentiment was sweet. The urgency in which the person wanted to warn others about the dog walker was kind of touching, even if the sign itself makes people chuckle.

Ace, No test for dog walkers, I am sure, but every neighborhood has one or two people who dominate the business and get the work by word of mouth. My neighborhood used to have this Eastern European couple -- guy and girl -- who you'd see out all over the neighborhood with anywhere from 4 to 10 dogs on leashes. Sometimes together, sometimes separately. The girl was knock-out beautiful, but had a female Ivan Drago vibe about her that was a bit off putting. Near as I can tell, they were always good with the dogs -- I haven't seen them in a while, but nothing abusive looking.

Draft saved Draft deleted