1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mayne Event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDub, Nov 12, 2006.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Does anyone else find this segment on Sunday NFL Coutdown witty as fuck?

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Today's wasn't as good as some of the others.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

The sell out thing at the end had me laughing out loud.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Arch" is tricky, even on cable.

Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think The Mayne Event is garbage. Mayne's straight-faced attempts at humor have often left me straight-faced and not laughing.
    He is so full of himself, it seems.
    The show he used to host, the game show, was crap-ola, in my estimation.
    I will say, something currently running on ESPN that's God-awfully even worse is those NHL hockey commercials.
    "Honey, what's Chris Pronger doing in our bed?"
    God, I hate those commercials.
    The viewing public doesn't know about and doesn't care about pro hockey.
    Sorry.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm often critical of The Network but I think Kenny Mayne is great. All of the game show stuff is all garbage on there.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Haven't seen the Pronger one yet, but have seen the creepy one with Sidney Crosby being in the shower when the guy pulls the shower curtain back. Saw it on Versus which, along with Bettman and the players union, is ruining the sport's visibility even more with only 1-2 nights a week with hockey.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree.

"Would you like to buy some car insurance?"

Of course, Mayne is buried at the network because he's legitmately funny. Ask David Aldridge and Lazy Eye Stewy.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The piece he did before the last Super Bowl in NOLA was hilarious. It was the game at the end of the 9/11 season and they had to slide it back one week, forcing a swap with the national car dealers association convention. So Mayne went around to a bunch of people selling cars in the classifieds to thank them for their patriotism. They had no idea what the hell he was talking about.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sunday's piece had me laughing out loud. especially randy moss' appearance. as if he had any clue about pluto. i didn't know mayne had this segment because i never watch countdown but it was damn funny.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Wait ... people like this?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I've always liked it, and I hate ESPN with a white-hot intensity reserved for ex-girlfriends and Adam Sandler movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted