1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (maybe) triumphant return of: If... (updated 8-12)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Re: The (maybe) triumphant return of: If... (updated 7-31)

She would know how to hit a six-iron. She would look beautiful with her hair pulled back, wearing a faded t-shirt she'd owned since high school and a pair of Sunday sweats. She'd be bold and confident, but with quiet hints of vulnerability. She'd laugh too loud and cry at funerals but make snarky jokes at weddings while sitting way in the back. She'd know the lyrics to all the "wrong" songs and some of the right ones, and on the highway with a stretch of open road in front of her, she'd sing them all, slightly off key, and not give a damn about what the world thinks. She'd like my mom, but love my dad. She'd have faith -- not necessarily in God, even though that would be ok too -- in people. She'd like playing skee-ball, eating onion rings, and drinking cheap beer, and not in an ironic way. She'd have a wicked cross-over dribble and sharp elbows under the basket. She'd love sitting up late at night with a book in her hand, and she'd love to read aloud sentences that stirred her soul. In softball, she'd play a mean second base and hit for average, but not power. She'd bite her lower lip when she was nervous. She'd have her favorite poems mostly memorized. She'd be a great dancer and a better kisser. She'd appreciate the importance of trashy TV and good coffee. She'd make me watch foreign films and artsy documentaries and come to bed some nights wearing nothing but earrings. She'd call when she was scared, and keep me in line and challenge me to be a better writer, a better husband, a better father, a better man. She'd have a smokey voice, a big heart and maybe too many freckles. She'd laugh at Monty Python and sometimes ask for some space and then always find her way back home, each night, to me.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Well, fuck.
    Yeah.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Knows the offsides rule in both hockey and soccer, has a recently stamped passport, can identify a major seventh chord, and has a resting pulse under 60.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've dreamed of the girl with the low resting heart rate.

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Too many things to mention, but I'll let you know when I find her.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

End of question. Holy sheeyit. Was mentally checking things off in regards to my girlfriend. She did well.

But wow.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Shut up, IJAG.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Huh?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm lost.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Me three.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Double Down dreams of Babe Didrikson.

Great post, btw.

Draft saved Draft deleted