1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mavericks are ditching the National Anthem before games. Who’s next?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Feb 9, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Weirdly I don’t care about this, but I would miss hearing O Canada (as applicable) before NHL games

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Karl Muck - Wikipedia

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That county planning commission meeting will never be the same.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I would happily see it be disappear from pro sports, but I always loved it when my daughter was in a tournament final (hockey) and they played O Canada before the game. Gave it a little pomp and circumstance, and it meant a lot to the players.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a "tree falls in a forest" aspect to this?
    I thought they didn't have fans at the first 10 home games, so naturally there was no one there to notice and raise a fuss. On Game No. 11, when the fans came back, was when it became a thing. I wonder if they skipped player introductions, flashy team entrances and halftime entertainment as well during those first 10 games?

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I'm on the parks and rec committee for my little suburb. Nobody from the public attends our meetings, even though they're more than welcome to. It's always committee members -- six or seven, at the most -- and a city parks employee or two. I'm pretty sure nobody is in a rush to get this bill passed.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This seems like such a little issue -- either way -- that it's not even worth talking much about. I'm always surprised at how vehement people are that the anthem shouldn't be played/sang at sporting events.

The only time I ever get a little sick of it is during the Olympics, a national/international event at which naysayers would argue that it IS appropriate. But I know that's probably just because Americans win a lot at the Games, and that's what U.S. media shows so much.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Best anthem ever.

The US should just make "Panama" the anthem. Yeah, the bridge would be a little weird but imagine the energy in the arena/stadium.

She's runnin'
    I'm flyin'
    Right behind in the rearview mirror now
    Got the fearin'
    Power steerin'
    Pistons poppin'
    Ain't no stoppin' nooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

PANAMA

If I'm going to pay top dollar to watch the Jets lose 31-6 to [insert team here], it'd be great to at least ride that post-anthem high for 5-7 minutes.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It's Texas.
    They'll play the song.

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted