1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Match Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 19, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The hypocrisy makes my head hurt. The PGA Tour, like all the other sports leagues, is rushing to get its hands deep into the gambling barrels. Just last week they issued a press release about distributing official scoring data for gambling purposes through IMG Arena. But heaven forbid we let the gambling get out of control between two of our players in an exhibition that's been about money and action from the minute it was born.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then he'd just show up wearing a mask as Mr. Golfing from Parts Unknown.

Fred siegle likes this.
  3. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yet another reason I refused to pony up, its ridiculous to say there's a huge betting match, then limit the wagers, what's the point then?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That thing smelled bogus from the start, but since I always shit on threads, I didn't want to shit on this one.

It was on at the sports book at South Point in vegas. There were a smattering of people there to watch it - none under 60 I would say.
    My buddy and I were on the other side of the book. I wasn't paying attention but I surmised it wasn't too thrilling. There were never many loud cheers, just groans with all the missed putts.

People were pissed when those longish putts were conceded.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So I keep waiting...I'm guessing Phil is cashing the check rather than donating to show what a good guy he is?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Mickelson hatred on SJ is so weird.

Mickelson made Tiger a shit ton of money by actually doing everything he could to sell this and keep it from being a debacle. And in the post game he was joking about how he was too fat to fit in the belt, and how it was clear evidence they assumed Tiger would win. Tiger enjoyed every bit of shit that Phil was throwing at him. The idea that Phil wasn't being "classy" about this farce was just absurd.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heck yeah, Phil made this whole thing tick. Which is why I also liked him from a betting perspective, I always thought he cared a little bit more and would get more delight out of winning. The 24/7 episode confirmed that, in my opinion.

If Tiger doesn't chip in on the 17th hole, Phil probably wins right there and maybe there isn't as much discussion about this format continuing.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  9. poindexter

This thing had WWE written all over it. There is zero chance the competition was on the up and up.

Case in point = "Tiger, go ahead and pick up on that six footer".

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They should have played it in Dubai and washed the money

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did any book take bets on this?

12. poindexter

Yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted