1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Match Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Post of the Year!

this walking, talking bitch-titted Dad joke

And bonus points for that.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I said yesterday, no stakes. The money doesn't mean shit to these guys. Turned the whole thing into a slog. I certainly wouldn't have ordered it myself, but since it was in front of me, I gave it a shot.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Showdown at Sherwood, Battle at the Big One,etc were all late July or early August.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Any of this silly season stuff ... matches with side bets, Skins games, etc. ... it's only going to appeal to hardcore golf fans. The casual fan who doesn't play doesn't know what skins are, and stuff like that won't draw that casual fan in.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So well-spoken. And eloquent.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Next up on MLB Network, home-run derby between Frank Thomas and Cecil Fielder. Smack-talking between over-the-hill legends guaranteed!

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

Can’t wait to see that New Year’s Eve game of H-O-R-S-E between Larry Bird and Magic.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You mean the pro bowl?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Barkley was a bad choice for an analyst because he wasn't afraid to say bad golf was bad golf in plain English (well, as plain as he can be). Golf talking heads are usually more subtle about it in order to keep the audience tuned in.

I tuned in when the match was on the 15th hole, when I got an alert that it was being streamed for free. I had a few quid on Phil at +175 so I was fully engaged. Tiger's chip in at 17 was vintage stuff. The rest, meh. Awful lot of conceded five-footers in the closing holes too, which definitely added some WWE feel to it. The golf talking heads get woodies when players concede putts that could lose a match for the other guy, shades of Tony Jacklin vs. Nicklaus and all that, but weekend golfers want to see pros sweat those out just like they do. And especially in a $9 million shindig that's supposed to be all about guts.

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Loser gives up competitive golf for a year would’ve been amazing drama.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd be more interested in Frank Thomas vs. Fred McGriff in a battle of cheesy commercials.

Nugenix TV Commercial, 'Fan' Featuring Frank Thomas

12. BitterYoungMatador2

Oh hey! Look at that! For all of the bluster about these two swashbucklers doubling down on side bets that would challenge them and make this farce even "more" interesting, turns out the PGA put the kibosh on that. Anyone who actually fell for this nonsense and ponied up money to watch it should have been beaten with a hammer the minute they entered their Visa number and clicked "submit."

PGA Tour limited side-bet challenges for Tiger vs. Phil match

Draft saved Draft deleted