1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Match Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The fake smack talk and rollout of this hasn’t been good. So forced.

I’m a person who should want to watch but have no interest.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They don't hate each other like they used to, but neither are they the kind of friends whose needling on the course could actually be funny and worth watching. It's just meh.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The birdie bet on 1 was pretty shrewd. People will have to buy before instead of waiting to see the react on social media.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Based on the dearth of posts on social media, this sure seemed like a dud.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"I know big picture, your career is the greatest of all time," Mickelson, who has 43 career victories and five majors, said of Woods. "I've seen you do things that are just remarkable. But just know I will not ever let you live this one down. I will bring it up every time I see you."

Mickelson then referred to a champion's belt that Friday's winner received, telling Woods, "I will wear this belt buckle every time I see you."

LOL. Stay classy, champ.

Phil bests Tiger on 22nd hole, wins $9M 'Match'

7. Michael_ Gee

Just part of the lame WWE atmosphere. Mickelson's not cut out for that. Neither is Woods, really.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My friend's dad ordered this because he's a total golf nut, and he even seemed underwhelmed. I watched a good deal of it, and it was pretty blah. For one, a single match-play match has so much dead time built in that it's going to be difficult to keep it entertaining over the course of four-plus hours. Neither one could make a putt to save his life. As an event idea, it was cool I suppose. There was just something missing.

9. Michael_ Gee

No stakes. Nothing to lose for either competitor. Without that, no sport is compelling. This was like an NFL exhibition game staged AFTER the real season.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I am so happy this glutinous absurdity was a failure. Tiger should be ashamed at how low-rent it all was.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fuck these people for trying to take attention away from college football with this shit. And it was shit from what I read. The actual play, was shit. The “smack talk” between Woods and this walking, talking bitch-titted Dad joke, was shit. The idea of Charles Barkley as a golf analyst, is shit. All of this is shit.

Slacker likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Really, the only thing new about this was the PPV aspect, which of course was a total failure. I remember Woods playing David Duval under the lights at some course in Southern California about this time of year, and of course there are the various "invitational" tourneys Woods and Greg Norman has held. Oh, yeah, and that father-son tournament. Always a grabber, that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted