1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Masters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by James307, Nov 26, 2008.

1. James307

James307 Member

I covered golf for 25 years, including various tours' opens in a few countries . . . Never been to the Masters, but considering attending in 2009 . . . Visited Augusta last April for another sporting event and caught a break on good hotel rates in the area. Of course, I know it's not that way for the Masters.

Can any veteran Masters attendees offer accommodation suggestions?

Anyone know of a cancellation at a place with a good rate?

james@byjamesraia.com

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This can be a kind and generous place, but someone posting a bargain cancellation for Augusta, Ga., during Masters week would take the cake.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

How's this for a bargain? James, you can stay with me ...

Meet me outside the Piggly Wiggly at 5 o'clock on Wednesday, April 8th. There, we'll discuss whether you'll sleep on the hotel couch or the floor. And who gets to read the USA Today first!

4. James307

James307 Member

That's quite an assumption . . . that USA Today will be published next April.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Piggly Wiggly will be a Super Wal-Mart and the Masters will be a combined PGA/LPGA exhibition.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

best way to save is to try to hook up with some reporters and share a house.
    There might be a few groups who have had cancellations from their group.
    Dont know how you find those groups, but they're out there

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

By next April there will be l,000 people in Augusta claiming to be James 307

8. James307

James307 Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the house rental. Good idea. I'll put the word out via a few of my golf mag editors. If proof is needed, I'm sure I can think of something and only I know what 307 means, and is not my career batting average, which, of course would mean .307.
    Keep the Masters ideas coming . . . it's appreciated.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The GWAA Web site has stuff regarding housing and the like for tournaments. Only thing is, you have to be a GWAA member to access it. Unless, of course, you can find somebody to give you the password or have somebody post it for you. If you want to PM me something to post on there I'll do it for you.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is not impossible, although it's a pain, to stay in Greenville, S.C. and drive back and forth. Marriott hounds in the press corps have done it (Not me, I only shared a house with people on my two trips.)

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

P.S. I think it's Greenville. The nearest burg down the interstate in South Carolina, anyway.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I got lucky a few years ago when the organization my brother works for moved him to Augusta and set him up with his own digs. Thank you Roman Catholic Church!

Draft saved Draft deleted