1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Marx Bros.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael_ Gee, Aug 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I love the Marx Bros. and The Three Stooges. I haven't seen as much Abbott and Costello except for Who's On First about a million times.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My favorite Marx Brothers movies, in order:

1) Monkey Business
    2) Duck Soup
    3) Horse Feathers
    4) A Night at the Opera
    5) Animal Crackers
    6) The Cocoanuts
    7) Love Happy (Not that great a movie, actually, but a fantastic scene of Groucho with a young Marilyn Monroe doing a bit part)
    8) A Day at the Races
    9) Go West
    10) Room Service

I watch one every so often. Most of those movies were made in the 30s and 40s, yet the themes they poked fun at are timeless. We tend to think messed up things in our lives are all new developments, and that things are different than they used to be. ... but those movies help you remember that the more things change, the more they stay the same. And they are just funny.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Own Horse Feathers and Duck Soup. Throw in A Night at the Opera for my top three.

Great comedy dialogue on a consistent basis, and it holds up well as Ragu mentions.

The cabin scene in A Night at the Opera is an all time classic.

"Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, this time I think we go up the middle."

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You can't fool me, there ain't no Santaty Claus.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, Chicolini here may look like an idiot and sound like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

7. georgealfano

georgealfano Active Member

I am a true Marxist - I love the Marx Brothers. You can see a line from the Marx Brothers to The Simpsons.

With younger people, I think they might have difficulty appreciating the Marx Brothers for a couple of reasons.

1. The most obvious is that the movies are in black-and-white. It's one thing for a movie like Casablanca where there is drama, but comedy is different.

2. You have a lot of quick references which you might not catch the first time. Groucho talks so fast, you really have to pay attention.

3. The subversive factor. Great comedy is almost always subversive. and there is too much "safe" comedy today. In the 1960s, Yogi Bear was subversive. He was always trying to outsmart authority (Ranger Smith) and get picnic baskets. Now there were probably plenty of natural foods for Yogi to eat, but pic-uh-nic (as Yogi would say) baskets were more of a challenge and loot. Yogi would sleep til noon but before it was dark, he would have every picnic basket in Jellystone Park. In the 70's, they make Yogi a safe character on cartoons. In the movie, they have to set an environmental theme rather than the essence of Yogi Bear.

4. There are some references which are outdated and not understood. When I was watching The Simpsons with my nieces and nephews, I was watching the episode where Bart switched the hymns to In A Gadda Vita" by Iron Butterfly (I think that was the group - if I'm wrong, somebody correct me). The scene ends with a graphic saying "17 minutes later" the organist playing the last note and collapsing. I was splitting my side laughing and my nephews and nieces had no idea what I was laughing about.

Draft saved Draft deleted