1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Marx Bros.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael_ Gee, Aug 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So today on TCM is all the Marx Brothers movies. They cracked me up as a little kid, when I was a college stoner, and they cracked me up today. My wife, who's the same age, has always hated them. My children look at it like anthropology. "You mean people laughed at that? How interesting."
    My question is: what do you think? I'll accept any answer, including "who're they?" as long as it's not smartass bullshit. This is a serious thing. Nothing's more serious than comedy.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Huge Goucho fan. My Dad introduced it to me when I was little. My kids? No. But I did get them to love Monty Python and Mel Brooks

I have a box set plus one on DVD of the best Marx Brothers movie. Smart, funny, biting. They are great

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They are nothing short of awesome. And Margaret Dumont is the greatest straight woman (or man) in comedy history.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Jamison, take a letter...

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Love the Marx Brothers. "A Night at the Opera" is classic.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, and my kids love them.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Love the Marx Brothers, especially when Chico plays piano:

HC likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Big Horse Feathers fan. Never got enough of them.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I go to bed a happier man than when I put up this thread. Thanks, gang.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack, I haven't seen too much of the Marx brothers, but I've seen plenty of Abbott and Costello and the Three Stooges. I also have gotten my kids to watch Buster Keaton's "The General" and some Keystone Cops films.

All of them made them laugh. I've often thought it was awesome how these old films are so timeless. Films that are 70, 80, even 90 years old still can make young kids laugh.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who love the Three Stooges and women.

12. Love the Marx brothers... They did physical comedy. They did smart comedy. Levels of jokes. Much of their stuff is still funny.
    Groucho and Harpo are among the best of comedians.

Much love to the Stooges as well. Not Iggy Pop.

Draft saved Draft deleted