1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Mariners WIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That was the problem last year. He and several others were 5, and had no attention span or coordination. But the 6-year-olds helped out, and now he's helping the younger players.

And there's one kid on the team who is small but can absolutely knock the crap out of pitched balls. No sense of defense, though. He's gonna be a DH. :D

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My son played coach-pitch Little League last season. Every kid would get to bat in every inning and get to run the bases even if they were out. No score was kept.

The last kid at bat would hit a three-foot dribbler, where a fielder would get the ball and proceed to chase down and tag all four baserunners. It was funny to watch.

Then, one time, my boy was the catcher. Batter hits a three-foot dribbler. Everyone yelling to my son to go get the ball. My boy just stands there while two runners score.

I ask him about it afterwards. He said he thought he was supposed to just catch the pitches and throw them back.

Ah, the innocence of youth.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or not. :D

Little Man has gotten into the habit of throwing up a hand, almost directly in the face of the baserunner, in an attempt to keep them on third. The kid playing catcher has tried on more than one occasion to push a runner off the path as he comes in to score. The kid at second has more than once laid down directly on the base with runners approaching.

Ladies and gentlemen....the Chicago Black Sox, without the gambling.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm going to be laughing the rest of the day just from reading that.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Have to admit, I and my ex-wife (who was visiting Little Man last night) couldn't stop laughing for a solid five minutes.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I helped coach my son's team for two seasons and some kids never figured out how to catch, throw, hit or run the bases but they had fun. We practiced every week and we did see some kids who really improved. They can advance so quickly at that age. Focus could be a huge issue for even the best players, but it was a fun time. There were always plenty of laughs every week.

My son begins tryouts for his age level's all-star team (not quite rep, he'll play house league and then a handful of tournaments with this group) tomorrow. He's ready to take the game a tad more seriously....

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Still family legend. The funny thing though is that she tells the JV softball players that she coaches the same thing. "More than one person on a base, or in the baseline, just start tagging everyone around you and let the umpires figure it out"

It's probably safe to figure those players know she means on the field...

Probably

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

UPDATE!

The Mariners won again last night, a nail biter 10-9. And with that win they have now qualified for .... wait for it ....

The PLAYOFFS! ::)

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You kiddin' me?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Playoffs?
    Isn't this T-ball?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes. And they actually have playoffs. I'm stunned too!

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

STFU-ing? Or S-ingTFU?

(just busting balls).

Draft saved Draft deleted