1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Man in the High Castle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Just binge-watched the first season. Anyone else watched it?

Second episode was very difficult for me. But, no denying it is very well-done.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I binged it last year shortly after it came out (I had recently gotten a Fire TV). It's the only series I've binged to date, and I was hooked early. A year later, I'm not sure how much I remember. I'll have to rewatch before season 2, which was recently released.

I remember being very moved at the final scene of the season, and I also enjoyed when the NY Nazi leader invites the old friend/traitor and new recruit guy to his house, I believe a middle/late season episode.

Of other Amazon series I've seen, Mad Dogs and Hand of God have stayed in my memory more. But I saw those series over a period of weeks.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched the first season. It was good. Reluctant to watch the second. Seems it would be more like a documentary for America in 2016 rather than entertainment.

dixiehack likes this.
  4. I watched the pilot and never picked it back up. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I started Mad Dogs last week, got through about six episodes and stopped. Don't know if I care to start or not.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode a couple weeks ago when I remebered I have Amazon Prime. Didn't hook me.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I watched season one earlier this year and enjoyed it. I've put off starting season two because I think it will depress me. I downloaded the first three episodes to watch while I'm traveling but I don't know when I'll start them.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I watched The Man in the High Castle last year. I remember some bad writing, particularly clichéd dialogue and simple plot points. I liked the overall story and one plot line.

Mad Dogs is bad. 6 episodes might be beyond the repetitive shit and into the new weird shit. None of it is interesting.

I would watch it just because I never give up on a show once I started. I watched the last season of Damages.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I have Amazon Prime free for 30 days so binge watching this show + Red Oaks. Took Man in the High Castle a few episodes to hook me. Now a little over halfway through season 2 and it is a little confusing in parts, but still not bad. Not something I'd pay to watch, but hey, nothing else is on this time of year. I like Red Oaks. That 25 minutes goes by really quick.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll add Mozart In the Jungle to this recommendation if you can squeeze it into the 30 days. But really, why wouldn't you have Prime for the free shipping anyway?

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The concept (Nazi and Japanese occupation of the US after WW II) is better than the execution.

I watched the first two episodes of season two yesterday.

I've been waiting to see what happens to the Oppergrubbenfuher's kid - the one with the sickness. I was expecting him in an Obama death camp last season. He is giving the German American Pledge of Allegience already this year at school.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

1. We don't have Amazon Prime because we really don't order enough stuff to make it worth $99 (and when we do order, usually have enough to get free shipping)
    2. Thanks for the tip on Mozart in the Jungle. We'll see if there's enough time.
    3. I also like the concept but, and trying not to ruin the show for anyone who might want to watch it, I wish they played it straight instead of some of these (for lack of a better term) sci-fi plot lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted