1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Major-Leaguer Just Down The Street

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Jul 9, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My son's best friend's dad was No. 72. The MLB player who lived in his room before he did is No. 4. ;D

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

More indirect...

Alan Menken's daughter swam for me.
    Mark Zuckerburg was a camper for five years at a camp where I was a director.
    I worked with a member of Noah and the Whale and went to high school with a guy from Better Than Ezra.
    I knew Sean Miller when he was 11 and one of my cousins was good friends with him.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I went to high school with her.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Shaq once asked a co-worker out on a drive-by past my newspaper.

She stood about 4 feet 10. Can't imagine what Shaq was thinking.

Actually, I guess I can. (And she turned him down.)

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So did I! I used to cut through their yards! Vern Fleming had a demon dog that would have tore any of us apart! Small world!

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Went to two high schools and both had NBA players at the time.

Tony Smith, who primarily played for the Lakers and Hornets, was a senior when I was a freshman at Wauwatosa East. I was EXTREMELY short -- 4-foot-9 -- as a freshman and I had gone to parochial school to that point and was a bit of a novelty, so he used to rub my head for good luck in a let's haze the midget freshman/wait he's sort of cool about it on the outside, but embarrassed on the inside kind of way.

I moved to Indy (see above post) and was a year ahead of Eric Montross at Lawrence North. He was my assistant on the school newspaper and I used to rub HIS head for good luck to make sure my copy was clean.

No I didn't. But I did play volleyball with him a few times. He rotated directly ahead of me. Never saw the ball when I was on the back line. I wonder why?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You played youth baseball with Jamarcus Russell?

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This summer my niece married an NFL player who started every game last year.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have two photos of athletes in my home office: One is Desmond Howard's catch against Notre Dame, taken head on by our photographer at the paper I was working at the time. The other is of Palmateer -- autographed with COA....

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Back to the paper route... I had a two block paper route -- up one side and down the other. On snowy days, I would do my route on a sled -- up one side and down the other. On of Friday -- collection day -- I had just collected from Ron LeFlore's wife (yeah, I know how it sounds) and started into the next block when he pulled up in his LTD. He staggered out and went in the house, with the motor running. Some 45 minutes later, when I walked past his house on the way back home, yeah, the engine was still running.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Is the double-started meant to indicate he's a special teams player who both blocks and tackles for kick returns?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Roughly a decade before Russell.

Draft saved Draft deleted