1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Major-Leaguer Just Down The Street

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I lived in the same subdivision as Clark Kellogg and Vern Fleming in the late 80s.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I got nothing, but the house down the street is vacant and has a pool,
    so I was thinking maybe Chipper Jones could move in there? Thanks.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Our "go-to" football analyst when I worked in local TV sports was a former NFL QB in the 80s. Good guy to just shoot the shit with.
    I've gotten to know a few pros from various sports through beat writing and TV. I wouldn't consider any of them friends, but they know who I am when I walk up to them.

And as of last week, my old part-timer at my first newspaper is now a major league umpire. I've been meaning to track down a game he is at and boo him! :)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

NHL players Brendan Shanahan, David Bolland, and Dave Clarkson grew up in our Mimico neighbourhood in Toronto. As did that OK ballplayer Joey Votto. My son played HS baseball with him.

Not a big deal. Because they're from Mimico, they're just regular guys.

And Shanahan and Bolland have brought the Stanley Cup to The Blue Goose Tavern. And David will bring it again soon.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not kidding here ... I really like your style!

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Spectrum was a band in the 1980s.

Guitarist/vocalist Glen Lawson was my next door neighbor for several years.

His son would tell us he was gone off singing, but had no clue his dad was doing concerts.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The father of my son's best friend played in the NFL for 10 years, has a Super Bowl ring and is the nicest, most normal guy you will ever meet. Our sons play on several sports teams together and he's fun to watch games with because he just watches, doesn't get excited, usually sits way far from the action. . He's also my son's math teacher. My son stays at his house, and vice-versa, all the time.

And the kid who had my son's bedroom before he did is a major-league baseball player. We bought the house from his family when he was 8 or so.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A childhood buddy of mine married Reese Witherspoon.
    Remember meeting Mike Bibby at my high school gym when he was 10.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We lived next door to a major-league pitcher for about four years when I was a kid. Very nice guy. Actually the first person I ever interviewed. I was in elementary school. Maybe 10 years old. Ran into him a few years ago and he was kind enough to bluff like he remembered us and ask about my family when I told him we used to be neighbors. (It was pretty clear he didn't remember).

His kids, on the other hand, were obnoxious little shits.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Did you flame-war with the kids?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Willie Mays used to live in my neighborhood. We played stickball in the street.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ray Oyler lived across the street from my grade school and I still remember getting an autograph in first grade.
    And I delivered newspapers to Kirk Gibson, then Ron LeFlore on my route -- 10 houses away from mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted