1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Magic" is missing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Sep 27, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This is the third consecutive E Street Band tour where the mix has been bad.

Complaints have ranged from it being too loud, distorting everything, to the mix being muddy. Friday night in Philly, you couldn't understand half of what he was saying due to the mix being bad.
    Then again, when you have vocals, four guitars, drums, piano, organ and fiddle in the mix something is bound to get messed up.

2. I know, joe, but the guy's a giant in the biz -- and, let's be careful to note, he's charging top dollar for a ticket -- get the sound right. If they can mix the London Philharmonic, they can mix an eight-piece rock band.
    Like the record, by the way, but I put it third on the old guy-new release list behind the new ones from Fogerty and Steve Earle.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not trusting someone's Rerun at the Boobie's camcorder recording to tell me if the mix works.

I thought that the sound has been fine on the past 4 tours. The ESB sound takes a while to hammer out, especially with the three guitars (I'm not counting Patti).

4. EStreetJoe

When you can't understand what Bruce is saying when he speaks, when you have trouble making out the words when he's singing and you can't hear the keyboards in the mix, the sound is bad. I was at both Philly shows. I might not be a first-rate audiophile or a sound expert, but I know when something sounds good and when it sounds bad.

On another Bruce board the sound guys borrowed from Spinal Tap and turned the dials up to 11, making it so loud that things get distorted.

5. EStreetJoe

Haven't heard the new Steve Earle yet, but I agree with you that the new Fogerty is better.

6. Good segment on 60 Minutes tonight.
    That rehearsal show was rockin'.

7. EStreetJoe

What time was 60 Minutes on and what time was the Bruce segment on? I'm curious to know if I set the VCR right to catch it.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning re: the sound. I'l be at the other end of the Air Canada Centre from the stage a week tonight. Never seen a show there.

Oh yeah, and it's inexcusable for a major tour like this not to get the sound right. I don't give a shit how big the band is. I saw Harry Connick Jr. years ago at the CNE Grandstand when he was travelling with a full big band and the sound was outstanding.

9. Does anyone but me think "Radio Nowhere" sounds like Tommy Tutone's only hit?

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yes. Tommy Tutone, for one.

http://tinyurl.com/2zhmkz

11. Thanks, hat.
    Sorry about the orthodonture needed for the Tutone kids.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Saw the show last night -- Bruce certainly had his A game working. The band was tight, maybe even a little too tight. I don't think that the crowd responded to any of the new songs. However, No Surrender, Reason to Believe, Darlington County and Born to Run were all superb.

The pacing of the setlist was still a bit off. Maybe it is because the show is slightly shorter, but I didn't feel the normal peaks and valleys.

Once again, he and Patti sang Brilliant Disguise together as some kind of a love song, which is beyond strange to me.

To me tone deaf ears, there was no problem with the sound.

Big Man is more protected than a slow center in foul trouble.

General Admission for the entire floor is just silly -- it doesn't bother me because I'm tall, but with others, it is just a constant fight to see the stage.

American Land is a very good song, but a bad closer. If you don't know the lyrics, you aren't going to pick them up from the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted