1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Magic" is missing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Sep 27, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this stuff is any good, since I haven't heard it. I just noted spnited had to listen to the album more than once to overcome misgivings. Was it a new appreciation, or was it going on the assumption that the artist can do no wrong, so he had to make his peace with his first instincts? I think it's an interesting phenomenon, is all. It's particularly prevelant, and usually pernicious, when it comes to directors. The hoops people go through to find good in any piece of crap Gus Van Sant does, for example.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think it's a valid point. I'm a huge Elvis Costello fan and I've gone through that repeatedly - I don't like an album on first listen, then it starts to grow on me... but looking objectively, most of his albums from the past 20 years have been mediocre at best.

Not necessarily saying this is the case for "Magic," since I haven't heard the whole thing, but I've been a little underwhelmed. I keep seeing reviews that compare it to "The River," which strikes me as absurd.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My only informed opinion from what I've heard of the tracks sounds like Springsteen is channeling Warren Zevon after Zevon had too many whiskeys. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Springsteen did work with Zevon on Zevon's final album (Disorder In The House is a fine song), am I wrong on hearing a lot of Zevon in there?

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've been a Springsteen fan since 1984 (was 15 that year) I've seen him 90 times now (if include the Holiday Shows in Asbury, the handful of times I've caught him in a bar joining someone else for a few songs, the 3-song appearance on the Today Show from The Rising tour, etc.)

The new album has taken multiple listens to grow on me. First time in a long time that's ever happened to me with a Springsteen album. Usually my first impression of a Bruce album is the impression that holds up over multiple listenings. Not so here, the more I listen, the more I like it. However I think that the Lucky Town album is better. In terms of sound/feel its as if he's channeling the pop sound of Disc 2 of Tracks (the stuff allegedly not good enough to make it on The River). There are fans saying its his greatest album since Tunnel of Love. I disagree. I think Lucky Town was better.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

ESJ, I think that Lucky Town is way better. I think that there is no song which is as good as a number of songs on Devils & Dust (title track, The Hitter, Maria's Bed, Matamoros Banks, Leah and certainly Long Time Comin') --although those have the benefit of live performances. No song which is as good as (the song) Human Touch or Real World (the acoustic version). I put this on par with The Rising -- some strong efforts and some middling ones. The difference is that The Rising had a couple of fantastic tunes (title track and Lonesome Day -- I'd even make the case that Mary's Place is a wonderfully written song with the wrong production), but nothing jumps out at me yet from Magic.

IMO, it is going to take his inevitable divorce to get the next (and maybe last) truly great Bruce album.

In better news, was able to get a GA for the first CAA show.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

That's a good point, but I wonder how much of that is expecting/hoping to be blown away by new stuff by an artist you love, just because you've got his old stuff lasered into your brain?

And I think you're being too hard on Elvis.

7. PCLoadLetter

That certainly could be a big part of it, yeah.

In terms of Elvis' stuff, though, I think there's been one hell of a drop-off. I think his last truly great album was "King of America." That was 1986.

Look at it this way -- in a 5-year span he released "My Aim is True," "This Year's Model," "Armed Forces," "Get Happy!!", "Trust," "Almost Blue" and "Imperial Bedroom," plus "Taking Liberties," a 20-song b-side collection. I think the weakest stuff on any of those albums is still better than 90% of what he's done since "King of America." I love the "Painted From Memory" album, but most of the others since '86 have 2 or 3 good songs. (And inexplicably critics say every one is a return to "This Year's model.")

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

True. But "Painted From Memory" makes up for a lot of missteps.

9. PCLoadLetter

No argument there. Tremendous album.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'll see ya in the GA.. that's where I'll be for the first Meadowlands show as well. Star Ledger had a story today. The naming rights to the arena were sold. After Oct. 31 it will be the Izod Center.
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/10/izods_name_to_replace_continen.html

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have heard 5 tracks from "Magic" and I am impressed. I like "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" and "Gypsy Biker."

Springsteen is right up there with very few 50-somethings (Petty, Neil Young among them) who can still write great songs. The only problem is, who will play him on radio today? Corporate radio in the Aughts sucks.

12. I think the new album is good, not great.

It's more consistent than The Rising, but like someone else mentioned, there's no standout tracks whereas The Rising had several.

Magic sounds overproduced and too polished, which has been a consistent problem, I think, since he started working with Brendan O'Brien.

Draft saved Draft deleted