1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Magic" is missing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Sep 27, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't say you said it sucked, because Springsteen could put out 12 tracks of farting, and you would somehow see the good in it, I would think. I was noting the interesting phenomenon that this thread represents, the reverse of demonization.

2. I'm not a big Bruce fan. I liked the album. It reminded me of the 80s, which is good.

Also, I totally think albums can grow on you. Bruce Hornsby's "Halcyon Days," one of my five favorite records ever, made me angry the first time through. Not enough Hornsby piano work. Once I got over that, I saw where he was going and I liked it.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

After I listened to it all the way through the first time, I had the same reaction as spnited - I was disappointed that I didn't love it. There wasn't one song that seemed like classic Bruce to me and it really just made me want to listen to "Darkness on the Edge of Town" or "Wild and the Innocent." I've listened to it a couple more times and while it has grown on me, I still am not as wowed as I expected or hoped.

I actually like "Radio Nowhere" but that might be because I've heard it more than the rest of the album.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Haven't loved it yet. I will obviously listen a bunch of times, but it hasn't gripped me yet.

Meanwhile EW goes Brown Bunny in its review -- http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20058821,00.html Then again, if you think that Magic and The River are betters album than Tunnel of Love, we have to agree or disagree.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've listened a bunch and like it way more than anything he's done since Tunnel Of Love, that's for sure. Better than The River? No way, there isn't one song on there that can stand up to the best of that album. Better than Born In the USA? No, and I'm sure a lot of us remember how great it was to hear that album as soon as it came out and before all the songs were beaten to death by radio and MTV.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

most importantly, anyone see the show in hartford last night? thoughts? ??? ??? ???

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I only got to listen to the first few songs on the way home yesterday, so I've got no opinion beyond noting that I felt "You'll be Comin' Down" sounded a lot like the song "Lucky Town."

But then again that's how I seem to listen to new music these days -- hearing old songs in new ones. My kid can't stand to listen to his new music with me because all I do is go "They're ripping off (fill in the blank)" or "That's from (name of old song.)"

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Beaker commented about it in the tickets thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47065/

On the Springsteen boards I frequent all of the reviews have been mostly positive, saying they can't believe how good the band was sounding on opening night compared to the rehearsal shows. There are still major gripes with the sound, like there have been with every Springsteen band tour in the last decade.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It takes him a while to get the band where he wants them to be. I'm guessing that we'll see really good shows over the summer.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Only if he was feasting on cabbage and gulping draft beer the previous night.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or, the accompanying phenomenon: reflexive pretentious pseudo-auteuristic contrarian dismissal of any popular artist, especially those with lengthy careers. "Has-been," "burned-out," "washed-up," "hang it up," etc etc blah blah.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

first time through the entire cd. i don't get the complaints.

"MAGIC" IS WONDERFUL.

i'm a long-time member of the converted. i don't see how anyone already in the "bruce camp" can be disappointed. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted