1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Madden Curse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimbabwe, Sep 25, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

God does not hate Seattle sports!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/breaking/story/6123692p-5363695c.html

2. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Few things in sports are more ridiculous than talk of the Madden Curse and SI Cover Jinx.

In the case of SI, covers are populated by teams and athletes who are at the peak of their games, doing extraordinary things. They're bound to fall off at some point. And no one ever pays ANY attention to the thousands of times nothing has happened to a cover subject.

In the case of Madden, sure, it seems odd that McNabb, Vick, Faulk and Alexander all got hurt ... until you consider how often NFL players get hurt. Nothing happened to Culpepper, Ray Lewis, Eddie George. Barry Sanders retired and that's a curse? Really, it's only mildly coincidental that half the cover subjects got hurt. That's how football works -- and of course, it's big news when a player of that magnitude gets hurt.

From Rovell:
    "Gracing the cover meant a below-average year for Daunte Culpepper ..."

Oh really? Daunte Culpepper sucks. The MVP performance that got him on the cover was far above average. His current crap is the norm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2232084

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Yeah, but Hoo, that's not as fun.
    You and your facts.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I prefer to think of it as the Madden Coincidence. Mariotti, Mr. No-Hitter Jinx Believer, would disagree, however.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder how much it pays. I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that Favre, Manning and Brady have never done it... Alexander just signed his monster contract so maybe he was feeling overconfident...

6. It seems to me that Shaun Alexander is very similar to Peyton Hillis. I wonder if the Madden curse will similarly affect Hillis.

That's why I brought back this old thread.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You sure it wasn't to start a catfight?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm more curious about dearly departed poster Chi City 81.

I wonder if he still hangs out around here?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you ask him, he might say no. :)

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I am shocked zimbabwe had so little faith in the Bears when he started this thread.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Alexander had more of a track record before his monster season, if I remember correctly.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Shaun Alexander and Peyton Hillis have about as much in common as grizzly bears and cumquats.

Draft saved Draft deleted